z

Young Writers Society

Help!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:10 pm
LiNdSeYo7 says...

I'm new here and I've written a story that I'd like to post but everytime I preview it, it's all along the side of the page. I want indentations and all of that to show up.. How do I make this happen?
<3 Lindsey

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:14 am
Nate says...

Unfortunately, the current code doesn't allow for identations. The best way is to go through your story and just seperate the paragraphs by lines.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:22 am
ZZAP says...

eeeewwwww!... So that means I'm going to have to manually change stuff for the posting of my story. :x :x Guess I'll have to use that testing forum to see how to post it... :roll: Bah! The energy used to do worthless things!

-Z

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:34 am
Nate says...

I apologize :)

I'm not quite sure how to make identations visible in the story after submission... I know that TYWC somehow manages to do it, but it's the same thing at writing.com (you have to put in lines between paragraphs there too).

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:11 am
Elelel says...

I couldn't be bothered manually seperating paragraphs in my story, so it looks like one big solid mass. It makes it a little more difficult to read, but doesn't make a huge difference.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:10 am
Perra says...

Manually separating paragraphs? Awww, heck!

Well, let's see, if-if I separate the-the-the parts and chapters. It-it wont be so-so bad.*twitch*
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:48 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I know this is forever old, but I had to chime in.

I hugely disagree with Elelel up there. It does make a difference whether something is a huge mass or not. I get turned off when the writer didn't bother to separate their paragraphs. That huge mass is hard to read and I am inclined not to do so. I have passed up stories like that in favor of a better formatted story, even if it isn't as good. To me, that lack of formatting just shows a writer who doesn't care about taking the time to make their story look good.

That's my two cents. Does anyone else have anything to say?

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:56 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I completely agree. >.< My eyes go crossed when I try and read a story that's all stuck together. There may as well be no paragraphs at all. =P
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:44 pm
Meep says...

Elelel wrote:I couldn't be bothered manually seperating paragraphs in my story, so it looks like one big solid mass. It makes it a little more difficult to read, but doesn't make a huge difference.

It does make a huge difference, actually, and it really only takes, what, two minutes? (Or you could just double space your paragraphs as you write, and then you don't have to bother.) Honestly, if a story isn't paragraphed out with double spaces, I won't read it - and I'm obviously not the only one.

_____If you need indents, though - and even if you indent your paragraphs, please also double space them -you can do five white underscores. It's not perfect, and it's a little time consuming, but it works well for things that absolutely have to have indentations. (I use it a lot or my poems.) Unfortunately, though, the text area is not really exactly white, but it's close enough. (If you really wanted to, you could find the hex code for the background color - if BBC uses hex codes, I'm not sure.)

Code: Select all
[color=white]_____[/color]
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:29 pm
Leja says...

Even if there were a code for indents, I don't think I'd like it. It's hard to read a big mass of text! And if there are spaces between the paragraphs, my eyes don't get lost as easily.

Though I would use it a lot for poetry! :D

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.