z

Young Writers Society

For the Incessant Inner Editor

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed May 30, 2007 4:08 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I don't know about programs other than Word, but I found a handy little tool in microsoft word that can help calm the nagging inner editor. As I'm sure everyone has met their own at one point or another, you all likely know what I'm talking about. You write, rewrite, rewrite, rewrite..........and nothing actually gets done. People say to just push yourself forward, but then the inner editor screams "No! Go back! Fix it!" and can be very hard to ignore.

To help pacify it, I recommend using the comment feature in microsft word. You can find it under insert. When you reread what progress you have (which you will invariably due unless you are EXTREMELY disciplined) instead of deleting and retyping, leave a comment. Does the scene you wrote fall flat? Mark a comment. Does it go too fast? Mark a comment. Too lengthy or wordy? Comment. Got a better scene than what's on the page? Long comment or multiple comments. Critique yourself (fairly if at all possible), but do not alter anything that is on the page. When you finish the peice, then go back, reread it, and judge your comments. Your scene change ideas will be at the scene that need changes, instead of in a random page in a notebook. Make the commented changes (or not) finish the draft (again) making comments where necessary (again). Soon enough it'll be refined into a work you can finally set free into the world.

So, give it a try, and see what it does for you. It helped me quite a bit, because the inner editor had his say and I kept everything intact. Now, back to that work for which I still haven't the faintest idea for a title...
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 30, 2007 4:18 pm
Emerson says...

This seems like it would be really good for going over Nanowrimo Novels and the like...Then you just use that to rewrite.

Do you know if you can print with the text, and comments? That'd be rad.

Thanks for the tip :-D I'll use this when I'm hacking apart my novels. (I love yelling at myself.)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I believe you can print out the comments as well, but I've never actually tried. I haven't printed much of my work, and I only found out this little trick recently myself. Nice to hear you find it useful.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha.. I know about it, but the little red marks it makes on Word makes me want to edit it more. :P

Thanks for the tip anyway!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 pm
Tyd says...

:D And i consider myself to be quite computer technical- i didn't even know about this!

This will help alot for me because i am always re-writing and re-cutting of my story :P Thanks alot!
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu May 31, 2007 6:38 pm
Meep says...

If you don't have word and your word processing program doesn't have a comment feature, you can change the text color of "bad" writing to red, "good" writing to green, and your thoughts in whatever other color. (I usually put mine in [purple brackets].)

The only drawback is you spend a lot of time formatting when you could be writing. :oops:
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 am
Idraax says...

Can you change the color in Word?
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

"Rumors?" "Yes. Terrible things. Grow on men like warts." "Tumors?" "Both. Look, there is talk about you."
— Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings