z

Young Writers Society

Block

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 am
Alice says...

This isn't really advice, this is a plea for help. In a story I am working on I've gotten to a point where it just sounds bad, and going back far enough to fix it means I would have to rewrite the entire story, meanwhile I'm getting ideas for new ones but I swore that I wouldn't do that anymore. But I'd like to start a new one. Grr... I'll put this one in my suitcase under my bed with all my other failed projects and start another. *Face/palm* I hate writers block, but I also think that if I leave that alone for a long time and come back, edit the crap outta it, and go again it will be good.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 pm
Tyd says...

Writers block :D Well, when i get it, i always look at things which inspire me to continue. Such as, watching an emotional sequence, something that reminds me of the past or just fond memories. Keep working at your story, finish it, then suitcase it :D
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon May 21, 2007 7:54 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Right now, I'm also working on a sort of 'pet project' for me. But I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of it, really. So I've shoved it somewhere dark.

If you have new ideas, just sit down and write it out. Take a break from your story. Usually when you stop thinking about it so much, that's when the ideas start pouring in, at least, that's what I think.

Or, maybe if it's that bad as you say it is, then just tear the pages the pieces, sit down, THOROUGHLY write out a plot, then start writing. Sometimes you get writer's block because you don't have in mind what you really want to write down, or what you want your characters to do, or whatever. Sooo...that's really all my advice.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon May 21, 2007 7:59 pm
Teufelshund says...

author13 wrote:... but I also think that if I leave that alone for a long time and come back, edit the crap outta it, and go again it will be good.

That's the perfect route. Leave your work in a drawer for a few weeks-at least-and then come back to it to edit and continue. It will do wonders...both the strengths and weaknesses of the piece will be a lot easier to see and you will not be as emotionally distraught .
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

6 Reviews

Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm
Tyd says...

Hmm, i don't think leaving work in drawers does any good, i can't honestly say that once i've left something that i've actually gone back to it =X

But people have different styles and methods, maybe this is your one?
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 pm
Snoink says...

Hehehe...when I was thirteen, I was in the same situation. On one hand, I wanted to complete this book and on the on the other hand, I wanted to pursue a novella. I rewrote the entire story, not really touching the novella, and rewrote it SO much that it became junk and I had to scrape it.

So... yeah. It didn't turn out so well.

At first it was a shock once I got rid of that story, because I spent so much time on it, but then I started work on my novella, which was an idea I was actually INTERESTED in and now it's a completed novel and I'm looking for publishers.

Write something you love. If that means scraping your current story, do it. But writing should be about the love. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:45 am
whence says...

In my mind, 'writer's block' is a made-up syndrome. It's a generalization of one or more simple happenings that become excuses for apathy. You could be putting this off because your story's boring, and you don't feel much in the mood to continue it.

Or, perhaps there's a decent reason.

You could actually just need a break. Whenever I draw my English-class-required-excuses-for-art, If I stay looking at it too long it all begins to blend in my mind, and I become numb to its overall crappyness. When I look at it later, fresh, the mistakes stand out and I can fix them and continue. I imagine this is much the same.

But yeah...
If you're not enjoying your story, then change it. Simple as that. :)
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

6 Reviews

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:28 pm
fueledbyjoy says...

ah writers block. My favorite thing. Not. Please no.

Erin loves art. That's right, any kind of art, pastels, water color, clay, sewing (that's an art...is it not?) even those random sculptures out if front of the art musium. The ones that look almost like people but not quite, yeah, those. The metal ones, that probably cost a lot to make, and to what avail? So little children can point and laught? I don't think i'd want to make art like that, i mean, it's good comic relief. If you went to the art musium and you were quite sad becasue your brother ripped up the story you were writnging. And then you saw that statue and you began to laugh...

there. Done.
God's thunder spits fire and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:39 pm
Alice says...

Hey You know what else is good for writers block? Putting your pillow on your desk and hitting your head on it, that hurts a lot less then banging your head on your real desk. I've fallen asleep at my desk to know that.
I just lost the game.

It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27