z

Young Writers Society

The Parental Issue!

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 am
writer 4 all my life says...

I never show my friends or family my writing. I'm glad my mom doesn't look into the documents on my computer. I don't know i just feel as if they wouldn't like it or they would want to censor something.

But i talk to my parents about my writing. Just not what i'm writing. Like i'll talk about how i'm stuck on something. My dad is really helpful. Even though i never let him see my writing. He gives me tips.

My mother and sister are trying to be writers. So it's kind of like a competition. Unlike me though they show other people there writing.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 am
dark_horizon93 says...

My family doesn't know that I write... I don't know... It feels awkward!! I mean, I let my friends and others read it but definitely not family OR especially my parents *shuddders*

FARAH
uhhh...wait, WHAT?!

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 am
Insomnia says...

I tihnk my family have only ever read oee or two of my stories. And that would be the one or two that got published lol! Some of my stories have some... interesting content. Then again, I'm not so sure about keeping it away from my dad. He used to write stories, and he had one that had some very different stuff lol. But they might see something I'm really proud of. :o

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue May 22, 2007 10:41 pm
Lady Pirate says...

It is not my famiy that would have a problem with it, in fact my Aunt helps me edit, beucase weary eyes miss alot. My sister too, and my mom. It's my community that would have the problem. If I ever do publish anything MAJOR that they would see, I would have to use a pen name... or it'll be like the Salem Witch Trails all over again, expect this time, I'm the one with my head through the rope.
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu May 24, 2007 4:41 am
Teague says...

I refuse to let my parents read anything I write... even essays for school. And I get really mad when they do. I dunno why. I guess I'm worried they'll tell me I stink or that I should stop. It's kind of weird, 'cause my mum's always telling me I'm a great writer. I kinda disagree. *shrug*

I've even taken to keeping everything I write on my jump drive so that they can't find it and deleting the browsing history for this site so they can't track my posts.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Thu May 24, 2007 5:15 am
JC says...

Wow...that's extensive...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu May 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Teague says...

Yeah I know... it's not healthy, either.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am
flytodreams says...

My mom says I'm a good writer, but I'm a little shy to show her my stories. Sometimes I do, though.

Once my cousin read my story..he liked it very much!
Too bad, I've changed it wayyyy too much.
Guess he and my mom are the only ones who've ever read my stories.

Apart from the people online of course.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri May 25, 2007 9:55 am
Myth says...

My parents wouldn't understand anything I write, a load of junk to them so there is no point in showing them anything.

I don't like showing my work to anyone anymore. Can't stand to explain anything and people just begin to think I'm being selfish or something but I want to keep all my work private, thanks.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Sun May 27, 2007 6:44 am
BrokenSword says...

I think sometimes the reason that some people don't want to show their writing to others is because writing to them is like putting their private thoughts and ideas on paper. Kind of like when you're daydreaming . You'd never say those ideas out loud, but you will write them down and turn them into a story. That's the way I see it anyway.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 pm
Fand says...

It feels awkward sharing my writings with my mother or sister, because they're just--well, they're not writers. They don't have the urge, they don't understand the urge, and they don't even really read that much.

My dad, on the other hand, is the one I inherited my love of literature from. I don't worry about censoring my writings anymore, though I used to--now I'm 19 and I just shrug it off. "Hey, this is what people do. People do inappropriate things. And since my writing is about exploring the human psyche, first and foremost--well, it's got to be in there."

Or at least, that's the argument I use. ^_~
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 am
Alice says...

I haven't gotten anything published yet, so my parents don't get to read my work, only my very trusted friends get to read my serious work. My parents are kinda lose about what I read, but always ask if its dirty before they either buy or let me buy a book. Other wise my folks are cool about it.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:20 am
kktoday says...

I don't run and show my parents my writings, but if they see it I don't mind so much. I just get a bit embarassed if I hear them (or anyone for that matter) reading my stuff out loud. For some reason I just don't like that. But I don't write anything that I'm ashamed of... there's nothing in my stories or poems that my parents shouldn't see because of content.
If only you could see
How heaven stills when you speak
I know all your days
And I have wrapped you in mystery
(My Love Hasn't Grown Cold; Bethany Dillon)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:24 am
Alice says...

same here, and the main reason my parents dont get to read my stuff is because they'll read it out loud in front of me! and then make fun of me for turning red.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:19 am
kktoday says...

Aw! Well, I'm a shy person and fairly private. And attention? Don't really want a whole lot of it. So when someone tries to read something I wrote out loud in front of me, I get nervous and tell them to stop and read it in their mind only. It is pretty rediculous to let someone read something in front of you quietly when I won't let them read it aloud, but... such is the way I live. :wink: Taking a creative writing class, though, my 8th grade year really helped me out. I had to read my stories and poems out loud, so it helped me get over it for a short time. I'd recommend that for anyone who struggles in that area. =)
If only you could see
How heaven stills when you speak
I know all your days
And I have wrapped you in mystery
(My Love Hasn't Grown Cold; Bethany Dillon)

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare