z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:41 pm
View Likes
whence says...

Read. The best writer's read the work of better writers, and learn from it.

[fallacy, but good advice]
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:38 am
View Likes
Meep says...

LIFE.
Literature.
Imagination.
Folklore.
Experience.

Even if it's not a magical cure for writers block, it's a good place to start when you've come to a road block, especially in plot or character development. ("Where does this go from here?")
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 am
View Likes
Sam says...

I think it was Holly Lisle's site (the one that El loves, and I love as well)- something about "Feel free to steal ideas, but twist them and shake them to make them your own."

It's true. Plots are never wholly original- there's always the problem of common themes. There would only be fifty or so stories in existence if we weren't alowed to copy, and that sort of thing.

The "twist" thing is the rule to live by. If you don't twist the things you find- for example, you like the idea of a society that destroys things, like in Fahrenheit 451- then it becomes a Bradbury fanfic. If you're clever, you'd find away to emulate the destruction (taking the idea at its heart) and channel it into something new.

...I think it makes sense, right?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:33 pm
View Likes
Samara says...

^ that's a great tip, Sam.
There are very few stories that are completely original. But you can make an old IDEA original by twisting it.
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:33 am
View Likes
Firestalker says...

best two tips

practice makes perfect

dont write what you know and should know. write what you would like know and dont know
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm
View Likes
Lynlyn says...

Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't expect what you write to be perfect. It won't be.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:53 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

You suck.

Encouraging, no? :lol:

Actually those single two words are my driving force. I want to excell and reach my full potencial. Until then, I suck. XD
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:13 pm
View Likes
Gadi. says...

NEVER leave something unfinished. Otherwise you can never take credit for it.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:14 am
View Likes
Blooregard Q. Kazoo says...

I forget where I read it, but my favorite writing tip is to think of a story you would like to read, then write it.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:51 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

I have to echo Blooregard here:

Write the book you want to read.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

1) Always, always, always have a pen with you.

2) When you think of it, write it down. I mean now. Because you will not remember it later.

3) When you can't write, read. When you can't read, write. Fill your days with those.

Sorry, I know it's three, but those are like my commandments.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:10 pm
View Likes
Poltergiest says...

1) Mind set: I've tried writing when I don't want to but I always end up writing only two or three sentances that really suck. Try typing every now and then and when you start going, don't let anyone stop you. Writing Rampage!!!

2) Environment: I prefer it to be cold, helps keep my mind focused and alert. I also like it to be dark. It helps me be not disracted by other things easily.

3) Time: Always make sure you have enough time. I can't tell you how many time's I've begun to write and have to stop in the middle of what could have turned out to be a really good long session.

4) Pace: Be sure to know when to stop. Sometimes whenver I type for hours on end my ideas get all jumbled together and I get all unfocused. You don't have to write the whole book in one day. Take your time and learn to striaghten out your ideas.

Hope that helped!

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:57 pm
View Likes
Shine says...

My tip would be read work of others,and believe me there is loads to learn from them.And whenever you are writing you should have the true feelings in it.You should get involved in it.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

Trident wrote:You can only break the rules if you truly understand them in the first place.

gah! my writing teacher says that all the time...
grr...

"I feel the best way to write believable characters is to really believe in them yourself. When you hear a song on the radio, you should know how your character feels about it--which songs your character would relate to, which songs she hates. Hear the conversations that your characters would have when they're not doing anything exciting; let them talk in your head, get to know them. Know their favorite colors and their opinions on current events, their birthdays and their flaws."
~Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight series
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:28 am
View Likes
Perra says...

Whenever you have to stop writing, stop in the middle of a sentence and right before you get to a good part. That way, when you come back, you'll finish the sentence and get back into the writing groove. A published writer told me that, and it kind of works for me.

My dad always reminds me that Stephen King says to read for four hours and write for four hours. So I always feel guilty that I don't read much anymore. XD
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell