z

Young Writers Society

Colours

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 am
deleted6 says...

Don't we all have problem of getting a certain shade to explain an object or such. Well I'm putting some help down, but only the primary colours. Rest is up to ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_red

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_green

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_yellow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_white

Hope this helps.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 am
Dynamo says...

Have you ever noticed that Canada and America spells colours differently? Color... colour... I think "colour" is the Canadian spelled version but whenever I spellcheck with Microsoft Word it's supposed to be "color." Probably because it's an American product. Even so it always annoys me.

... I guess I kinda rambled on a bit there. Sorry about that.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 am
Loose says...

colour is how its spelt in most places, not just canada

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 am
McMourning says...

Dynamo wrote:Have you ever noticed that Canada and America spells colours differently? Color... colour... I think "colour" is the Canadian spelled version

Colour is English whereas color is American. Just like
Paid is English and payed is American....I can go on and on...
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:36 pm
Dreami says...

Actually paid is American too. The lovely rules that never worked that we have to recite in Elementary school: change the "y" to an "i" and add "ed". Though in this case, just d. See? Those rules never work. bah! Curse you people who created the English language? Why don't any of the rules work?

160 Reviews

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 pm
Loose says...

alright sieg, I know youre not too happy about this so

Can we get back to the subject please?

Sieg, they are great links, thanks for finding them. Theyll be a huge help for when i get over this writers block.

And dynamo, did you have to post that here? start up a new thread or something. It made sieg feel :(

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:07 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, yes, there are loads of different spellings between American English and Standard English. Stuff like realised, they can be spelt with either an 's' or a 'z' in Standard, but, as far as I know, only with a 'z' in American. Also, with 'grey.' It's with an 'e' in Standard, but the American spelling is 'gray.'
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:38 pm
Skell says...

Will you guys stop about how its spelt. the links are good, thats all that matters.
I am sure that a few of you have had trouble trying to describe something and these links that seig found ,and was kind enough to post, make it that much easier.
thanks again seig

skell
In the shadows i walk, through the light of life.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:38 pm
Dreami says...

Thanks Seig. I was entranced by the shades of red, exspecially the whole part about Amaranth. It was the name of a flower that grew on Mount Olympus that the Greeks believed would never die. I never knew anything baout that. After reading this, I am renaming one of my characters to be called "Amara" to reflect on this. (Although she is mortal, she is extremely old in relevance to the rest of her race.

- Dreami

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:12 pm
Emerson says...

I love the links! Color shades are fun, and it is always hard to find that perfect color.

What I tend to do is go to my online dictionary of choice, www.dictionary.com, then use the thesaurus and type in "green" or something. I find one of the words that sounds the way I want it to. Then I google the word, under pictures, to find what it looks like. Because more often than not, if you use the wild words for a specific shade, no one is going to know exactly what you mean (at least the particular labels given above) so I try to choose color names that not only look the right shade, but have a nice sound.

Because, you know, "I stared into his myrtle [green] eyes," just wouldn't work... What the heck is myrtle? Maybe if you said myrtle-green, but even then...what the heck is myrtle? You get my point? :-D

But I still enjoyed it! I love color shades...Sangria Red is beautiful!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, www.dictionary.com does help, although I tend to use the thesaurus more.

As to the colours, they're a great help. Just a quick click and all our colour-vocab worries are over!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm
Snoink says...

It's too bad you can't just say #000000 and everybody knows what you're talking about, LOL. It would make things so much more precise. ;)

But thanks for the links! I didn't realize they were so handy...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

160 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 am
Loose says...

oh my god sieg i love you!!

I was struggling with the colour of my scarf (aka you) and i was asking the chat about shades of red. Then i checked on paint and on font colours and only then did i remember that you posted these. Thank you so much.

Youre crimson by the way ;)

Reviews: 3
Sat May 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Eloquence says...

Colour is English whereas color is American. Just like
Paid is English and payed is American....I can go on and on...

Actually, in America we say paid. Payed is considered mispelled. Atleast where I am....

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 pm
Clockworks says...

Isn't an Amaranth purple? I wrote a poem about the word, if I'm wrong about the shade the whole poem can... just be incinerated. I looked it up on dictionary.com, but maybe I'm still wrong.

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates