Young Writers Society

just 'cause

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:04 pm
View Likes
Sgt.Pepper says...

hey hey,
When your writting a POEM never use the word 'cause always use because its more poetry then.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:34 pm
Rydia says...

A short tip and I'm not sure that I agree. Generally because is much better but when there are too many syllables, shortening because isn't always such a bad idea.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm
Meep says...

I'm not sure I agree. With a few possible exceptions, I don't think there are any words that should never, ever be used in poetry.

I think saying "'cause" can lend a more colloquial, conversational tone to the poem. It could be more of a statement, give the narrator more of a voice. It all depends on how, when, and why you use it. (This is true of any word in poetry.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:13 pm
Twit says...

It's like Shakespeare and other people would say, "o'er" and "wak'd" to make it flow better. Too many syllables makes it clunky, like.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm
Leja says...

It all depends on what you mean. No word should be ruled out just because it doesn't "sound poetic" because all words are useful at one point or another. Rather, like Meep said, it depends on what style you've been writing in. Sometimes 'cause will work, and sometime because will be better.

Oh, I'm sorry. My friends are in the popcorn and I have to save them.
— Tori Hansen, Power Rangers Ninja Storm