z

Young Writers Society

Low on ideas. :<

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:34 am
View Likes
pkthundaga says...

I think I've been having writer's block lately. I just can't think of anything to write. I like to write fantasy stuff, but I feel like everything I've written as of late is just too cliche. (It's mostly all "chosen ones" plot stuff, becayse I just can't think of anything else.)

Anyone have any tips for getting my creative juices back? D: (ideas for aversions to the "chosen ones" plot would also be great.)
call me Aerith Strelitzia (or just Aerith or just Strelitzia)

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:46 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Hey! I may not have a lot of ideas myself but I found this thread where people share what they call plot bunnies. A plot bunny is kind of like an idea that keeps gnawing at your brain until you write it. However, oftentimes plot bunnies don’t fit into stories we’re currently writing, so people like to share them in this thread for other people to use. Hope this helps!

Plot Bunny Adoption!
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:50 am
View Likes
Lovestrike says...

Hi! Welcome to YWS!

I totally feel this struggle when I write prose. Have you tried looking at any lists of prompts? This is one of the main resources I use! They are definitely more specific, but you can always cut out/add whatever details you want. It's your story after all!

Also, sometimes it's okay to write something cliché! I personally find it harder to get out of a writer's block when I force myself to write something different. If something is cliché, there's a reason! It's well loved, and you can turn it into whatever you want it to be. The whole "chosen one" archetype has so much potential!

Writer's block happens to everyone, even the most prolific authors! Don't force yourself to write something if you aren't feeling it. I suggest taking your time because it will come to you sooner or later! =D
Didn’t Sappho say her guts clutched up like this?
[Solstice, she/her]

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:59 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Oh, one more thing:

There’s this website I use for writing resources that also has some writing prompts. Here it is:

https://allwritealright.com/category/writing-prompts/
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:22 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

[Removed by YWS by request of author]

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler