z

Young Writers Society

Need help with the plot of one of my chapters

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 pm
GengarIsBestBoy says...

I’m writing a multi-chapter short story surrounding 3 characters, with each chapter being focused on a different character. I have the chapter ideas planned out for two of the characters, but I can’t figure out what to do for the other one.

I don’t want to spoil too much, but here’s basically how it goes: there’s this really huge traveling carnival, right? Our three characters—Alistair, Grace, and Crash—all go to this carnival (on separate occasions of course). But you see, the owner of the carnival, Beau Bowie, is not the friendly man he appears to be. Long story short, our main characters are captured and… (well, I can’t really tell you this part cause it’s a spoiler). Through some events, though, they all meet each other and find a place to hide away from Beau.

Alistair’s chapter is the first, and Crash’s chapter is third. Like I’ve said, I’ve already planned these (and I’m currently writing the first) but I don’t know what to do with Grace’s chapter. I have this idea in my mind about her not liking carnivals, but I’m not really sure how it’d play out. For context, I see her as someone who talks a whole lot and could even be seen as hot-headed, someone who was probably in debate club in high school
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Also btw I’m going offline as soon as I post this (homework)
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:09 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Hello! If all three characters are going to be ending up at this carnival, I think having the contrast of going to the carnival while also not liking the carnival makes a lot of sense! I do not know how you've framed Alistair's and Crash's chapters pertaining to demonstrating their character and all, but I think for Grace you could go with a "I am going to prove to you that this carnival is lame" i.e. she is debating with her friends that want to go / like the carnival. Thus, she is there to prove them wrong.

That also could lead to interesting conversation in which Grace says how this proved carnivals were bad, and the other characters legitimately had wanted to see the carnival, but not get captured. Hopefully.

This sounds like an interesting story! Hope that helped and good luck with it. ^^
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Thank you for the idea! I think this might actually work
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus