z

Young Writers Society

Wordlbuilding/Character Questionnaires

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm
Tenyo says...

Hii guys!

I'm doing some worldbuilding en masse for a bunch of locations and characters. I want to brainstorm and have them exist to add flavour to the story and be available as a creative archive, but since none of them will play any kind of significance to the plot I don't really want to spend too much time developing them.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations of questionnaires or templates that might be of use?
We were born to be amazing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:20 am
Kale says...

I don't use templates or questionnaires myself, so sadly, I don't have any to recommend.

Some things I do consider for my own worldbuilding are things like climate, number of ethnic groups, population distribution, is there plumbing, and such.

Side characters get a basic physical description, occupation, and perhaps a quirk or two that sets them apart from the others of their occupation.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Not quite a template/questionnaire, but I have in the past used Patricia C Wrede's worldbuilding questions as a resource, and you could probably derive a template from those. There are various mirrors around, but here's the first one that came up on Google: http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-wor ... questions/
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand