z

Young Writers Society

Any Exceptional Books About Writing?

209 Reviews

Reviews: 209
Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:29 am
artemis15sc says...

Just to throw out a few that haven't been mentioned yet. I really enjoyed Blake Snyder's Save the Cat It's a screenwriting book but it can be adapted for novels too. Also Story Engineering by Larry Brooks.

Both of these offer some great insights on plotting. Snyder's Book is one I re-read purely for entertainment's sake. Neither of them are a really heavy read either.
Check out my newly published YA fantasy novel here!

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/SaraETall

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:27 pm
luciditysNovelist says...

I suppose it's technically a book about reading, but How To Read A Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren is stuffed to the gills with excellent writing advice.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:42 pm
Holysocks says...

The Idiots Guide to Novel Writing by Tom Monteleone is a real page turning... seriously. He explains things very plainly and down-right honestly. I found it very helpful... and I look things up in it all the time. :-P
100% autistic

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:17 pm
BasicPiper says...

The "Write Good Fiction Series" has helped me so much.

Description and Setting

Characters, Emotions and Viewpoint

Plot and Structure

They explain things very simply and at the end of every chapter it gives you some exercises to reinforce what you have just read.
Everything In The Universe Is Either A Potato Or Not A Potato....

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:41 am
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

Sometimes the Magic Works by Terry Brooks. It's not really about how to like most writing books, it's more of just him telling about his experiences as a writer and the lessons he learned. I found it incredibly helpful and enjoyable to read.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Reviews: 4
Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:45 am
View Likes
Melmo says...

My absolute favorite book on writing is "Writer to Writer" by Gail Carson Levine. It is super fun to read and I think it was what helped me crawl out of my writing rut.
For the love of creativity!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 pm
SnowGhost says...

Last edited by SnowGhost on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just killing time until time kills me.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 am
LJF says...

Kitkat_1122_ wrote:Writing Magic: Creating Stories That Fly by Gail Carson Levine

I think this book was wrote towards younger writers, but it was still good. It had some good writing exercises and tips.

I was going to say that!
“In order to...apply the teachings of the Aincrad style...keep its secret motto in mind: "stay cool.”-Reki Kawahara
"I’m glad I didn’t die there. I have to go home. I’ve still got things to do.”-Yukako Kabei

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm
View Likes
BellaHamilton says...

Hi,
It's really important question to find the books that help develop writing skills. And thank you for sharing your favorite ones.
The books that were useful for me and not already mentioned are "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser and "The Lonely Voice: A Study of the Short Story" by Frank O’Connor.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am
MeherazulAzim16 says...

The Art of Fiction and On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner.

He can at times sound harsh but I found these books to be helpful.
"We Are Groot."
— Groot

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm
IamI says...

two that I've read that are quite helpful are 'steering the craft' by ursla K. leguin, and 'Elements of style' By William Strunk jr. and E.B. White (yes, the same E.B. white who wrote Charlotte's web). Steering the craft is more of an activity oriented book, while Elements of style is more of a textbook (though, at 95 pages it's the shortest textbook you'll ever read), both are relatively short.
-_-

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm
Lavvie says...

On Writing by Stephen King

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:33 pm
Mageheart says...

I never got far into it, but Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery by Pseudonymous Bosch is supposedly pretty good! I would say that it's geared towards younger writers and ones who have probably read his Secret Series, but I still had to recommend it.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Valkyria says...

I haven’t finished it, but Letters to a Young Writer by Colum McCann has a bunch of tips.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm
View Likes
Purple67 says...

If you need books about structure and plotting, Save The Cat does a really good job at creating a roadmap for you to follow if you want to write a successful book. It is for screenwriting but you can use it for novels as well.

There's also Save The Cat! Writes a Novel if you think that a book on screenwriting wouldn't be of your taste.

Here's the links.

https://www.amazon.com/Save-Last-Book-Screenwriting-Youll/dp/1932907009
https://www.amazon.com/Save-Cat-Writes-Novel-Writing/dp/0399579745

- Purple

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett