z

Young Writers Society

Five Tips for Writing Convincing Characters

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:32 pm
emeraldmaria says...

Yeah, I get what your saying about liking your charevyers. Like I once eraad this story about a guy who sexually abused his little brother. Everyone hated gun. Then she made a chapter from his point of view and I loved him. I loved him because I felt so bad for him. You are, he tried to stop himself and he messed up his likdr hiding it. I totally agree about the 'make thou people(because I can't spell charecters) ugly'. I read the cliuqe once and it had perfect, rich people and ut is terrible childish writing. I also read fairest and I think it is one of the rare occasions to make your people super ugly. Also about giving your dead girl flaws. Ages dead that is a big flaw.

5 Reviews

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:51 pm
emeraldmaria says...

Exuse my spelling and grammar for the previous post. My dad had to use his phone so I couldn't check over it.

5 Reviews

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm
emeraldmaria says...

Oops! My first post is illegible. Sorry!

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:24 am
CoreMeltDown says...

I feel its a good guide, especially for novices, but for an advanced writer you can get away with a few of these things ((especially when writing satire)). Does it not befit a utopian society for each and every person to be described highly ((even if it really is not true and the narrator is biased)). Having a drop dead gorgeous character is perfectly fine if it is done in the right way ((it just happens that most young writers can't)).

I flat out just don't agree with the first point. It helps when you are writing them, but if your plan for a character is to die then its much better to not like them. I don't like many people, I usually don't like many of my characters. If I made them how I liked them then I'd have twelve Holden Caufield's ((to use a tired example from a book I don't like)) running around. I feel it should be changed to 'Make sure you understand your character'. You don't have to 'agree' with your character ((or like him, same thing in a way)), you just have to understand their point of view and build on it.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:27 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I completely agree with everything you said, Snoink. I've had several characters that wouldn't leave me alone and finally gave up when I refused to write what they wanted down (Bad idea). :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 pm
kris says...

The only sure way to make a completely 3d character is to base it on someone you know. It works very well in fact, because you already know everything about them. Many, many acclaimed authors use this technique.

Reviews: 2
Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:13 am
kaonna says...

Yes I understand you completely but I have a story where my characters aren't perfect. They are vampyres and some say vampyres are beautiful creatures. Their personalities are their flaws. My main character learns a horrible secret and goes completely insane, and focuses on becoming beautiful and young forever. She even becomes harsh towards her followers, then she softens up when she meets Audi Losier a vampyre like her who is like ice and she is like fire. Then Mirage is sneaky and devious, [hence her name Mirage which means fake] but for the most part they are beautiful to look at even though they have minor flaws outside of their body but a majority of them inside.

I'm not sure if I should redo my characters or leave them as they are...I really don't want a character tht will bore everyone since I am still 17 and learning the art of writing novels for myself.
Die Heilung ist der härteste Teil jeder Tragödie

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:20 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I just realised that this is what I read before I actually joined YWS and decided this was a good place to join.

Thank you, Snoink. You are officially certified as pure awesomeness. Which only I can do, because I was the first one to be pure awesomeness.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:19 am
Snoink says...

kris wrote:The only sure way to make a completely 3d character is to base it on someone you know. It works very well in fact, because you already know everything about them. Many, many acclaimed authors use this technique.

I... don't like doing that, just because people get upset. :P I base my characters after facets of myself. So Claude is as much of me as the freak. It's awesome like that. :)

I'm glad you guys like it!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100