z

Young Writers Society

Journalism Writing Tips?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:13 am
deepfreeze16 says...

Hey YWSers. I, like many of my fellow writers, wants to be a journalist. I want to have my stories read weekly from young people to old people. But one thing. I don't know what to do. :( I mean I can write! That isn't enough though to get into major newspapers and magazines. So I ask you guys for help. Please give me tips on how to write a good journalistic story or whatever else. Also if you have a article you want to see written post it and I'll see what I can do. I thank you in advance. :D

~Freeze~
"Interchanging mind control, come let the
Revolution take its toll, if you could
Flick a switch and open your third eye, you'd see that
We should never be afraid to die, so come on" ~Muse, Uprising~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

This article goes into detail about different types of non-fiction writing. Hopefully it'll be helpful!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm
BenFranks says...

Send me a PM when you post an article and I'll give you a thorough review with tips & hints.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm
Kale says...

In general:

1. Make sure your facts are correct.
2. Write in a unique, but authentic, voice.
3. Don't allow that voice to overtake the content.
4. Research different perspectives on the topic; it will lend you insight on the subject and may even lend itself to opportunities to exercise one's voice.
5. Use accessible language. While you can get away with an extensive vocabulary if that is part of your voice, you need to realize that the less common the language you write with, the fewer people you will reach.
6. Allow room for others, namely readers, to hold opposing opinions. Nothing will turn readers away faster than having their beliefs bashed.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 am
MeanMrMustard says...

I have had job experience in the journalism world. If you are still interested in learning about the profession, either post here or PM me. I'm going to be a little busy for a while, but I'm more than happy to provide experience and insight to you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 pm
Calligraphy says...

The biggest tip I have for you besides the other ones is make yourself likable. Write clearly almost conversationally. Take the advice you give, people will be able to see if you don't believe yourself. People will like you if you edit out the Swahili phrases in your work that only ten people understand. Write what your readers can understand. Know who your reader's are and what they are like. Do not start writing before you know all the facts, if you sound ignorant or too smart people won't like you. So, just be normal. Well, be normal unless you are a brain surgeon then lower yourself to normal intelligence. People don't like looking up words in the dictionary.

I hope I helped even if I rambled,

A. S.

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster