z

Young Writers Society

Interjections!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 pm
LadySpark says...

interjections should be your best friend!

~interjections show excitement or emotion,
their general sat apart by an exclamation point or by comma when the feelings not as strong.

~so when your happy or sad
or frightened or mad
~an interjection helps.

INTERJECTIONS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND!

example:
Hey! That smarts!
Ouch! That hurts!
Yow! That's not fair givin' a guy a shot down there!

Well! You've got some nerve!
Oh! I've never been so insulted in all my life!
Hey! You're kinda cute!

Aw! You threw the wrong way!
Darn! You just lost the game!
Hurray! I'm for the other team!
the blue are the interjections.

hope this helps!
~pointe

~tips brought to you by: school house rock
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 pm
Kale says...

Firstly, the ! is not called an interjection. It's called an exclamation mark, exclamation point, or a bang. Exclamation points indicate exclamatory sentences, and sometimes interjections. Before you write and post tips, it's always a good idea to make sure you're using the terms correctly so you don't confuse your readers.

Secondly, too many interjections can get irritating quickly. Just like all-caps or italics, interjections should be used sparingly, only when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, you risk your reader wondering why everyone is interjecting something all the time. You can only have so many "um..."s and "er..."s and "like"s and "Hey!"s in a character's dialogue before they get annoying.

Speaking of, what you're talking about in this post are mostly exclamations, or exclamatory sentences. Interjections are short, one-or-two-word phrases or sounds that are interjected into a person's speech. They do not always end in exclamation points.

In any case, it's best to save exclamations for highly emotional moments when the characters are actually shouting rather than having them shout all the time. You're right in that they are very useful, but you neglected to include some of the downsides for over-using them.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:18 pm
LadySpark says...

goodness! I was just trying to help people! you don't have to go crazy! goodness!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:29 pm
Rosendorn says...

pointe2drama wrote:goodness! I was just trying to help people! you don't have to go crazy! goodness!

Following your own advice, are we? ;)

Ky wasn't going crazy— just providing some grammar nit-picks and his opinion about interjections. :) It's great you're trying to help, and keep it up! Ky's just saying to double-check your facts before posting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar