z

Young Writers Society

7 Simple Rules for Stronger Prose

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:08 am
SnapesOnAPlane says...

I agree with using "said", and also with:
"Said" can be annoying. In fact, any large amount of dialogue tags are annoying.

I think the main point is balance. It's really annoying to read a story where after every dialogue is followed by "said". At the same time, it's annoying when the story has absolutely no dialogue tags, and only action. For example:

WRONG-BORING
“What’s on the agenda today, sir?” She said.
He said, “Let’s see…”
“I’ve already taken care of everything and what you really want is for me to just relax for a while?” She asked.
“Oh no. I care too much about you to let you loaf around all day and get fat.” He replied.
She snorted, “I thought that was because you like to watch me suffer.”
“Well, that too,” He said.
She said, “I’m psychic.”
“The bookshelf needs to be cleaned,” He said.
She asked, “What bookshelf?”
“That one over there," He replied.

WRONG-SO WRONG
“What’s on the agenda today, sir?” She added an unnecessary emphasis on the last word.
He scratched his face absentmindedly. “Let’s see…”
“I’ve already taken care of everything and what you really want is for me to just relax for a while?” She rocked back and forth on her feet.
“Oh no. I care too much about you to let you loaf around all day and get fat.” He threw his hands up in the air, like he did sometimes.
She put her hands on her hips. “I thought that was because you like to watch me suffer.”
“Well, that too," He grinned and wiggled his eyebrows.
She shrugged, “I’m psychic.”
His eye surveyed the room, clearly looking for a task to invent. He settled on one. “The bookshelf needs to be cleaned.”
She looked around, puzzled. “What bookshelf?”
It was hard to tell with his mask on, but she swore he was grinning. “That one over there.”

AS CLOSE TO GOOD AS I'M GOING TO GET
“What’s on the agenda today, sir?” She said, adding an unnecessary emphasis on the last word.
He scratched his face absentmindedly. “Let’s see…”
“I’ve already taken care of everything and what you really want is for me to just relax for a while?” She asked hopefully.
“Oh no. I care too much about you to let you loaf around all day and get fat.” He replied evenly.
She snorted. “I thought that was because you like to watch me suffer.”
“Well, that too.”
She shrugged, “I’m psychic.”
His eye surveyed the room, clearly looking for a task to invent. He settled on one. “The bookshelf needs to be cleaned.”
She looked around, puzzled. “What bookshelf?”
It was hard to tell with his mask on, but she swore he was grinning. “That one over there.”

[note: I took out the character's names]
But whether James really did take off Snape's pants, Harry never found out.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:59 am
ultraviolet says...

That's what I meant by "large amount." And you're right; balance is key. With description, action, thoughts, dialogue, anything. Even sentence structure; repetition is boring, unless done in an intriguing way, which it rarely is.

And to add to the "dialogue" thing, another option is: Nothing accompanying the dialogue. Like, when two people are bantering and it's easy to tell who's who. Or, when the MC is "narrating" something that is not dialogue/tags, and another person (or themselves) speaks. This works especially well when the person speaking calls someone by there name, or has some other indicator of who is speaking.

Though, again, balance. That is what we much aim for. This is just another way to achieve balance while still keeping things interesting.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm
Calligraphy says...

ultraviolet wrote:
AuroraOrodel wrote:A lot of my dislike of continual "saids" stems from how it sounds when read, which is really grating to me.

"Said" can be annoying. In fact, any large amount of dialogue tags are annoying. I usually try to do things like:

"Really?" She rested her elbows on the table. "You'd do that for me?"

He cocked a smile. "'Course I would. You're my best friend."

Doing this not only let's the dialogue take full affect, but shows both description and action in ways that help you picture the scene and that add to the dialogue, shaping the way it sounds. I'm pretty sure this is what Rosey was talking about before, but I just thought I'd throw in an example.

I would have to say I agree with ultraviolet. At least, this is what I do in my writing already. I use said and I try to let my actions while the character is talking and the setting show the tone.

And SnapesOnAPlane on then Ultraviolet again XD. But, it is right. The key to good writing is varying. You shouldn't do too much of one thing. Like metaphors if you use twenty of them it isn't going to work very well.

idraax, I think that description is important. That is how I pictured the coffee shop. Before I pictured it completely different, but the real reason I told you to describe is because you didn't seem to want to tell more. I tried to hint at that, but I should have just said it louder I guess. But, I think your work was improved by more description. Before I wouldn't have read it and then you added description I would have.

How much description? Like AuroraOrodel said it is really just a personal preference. You should do it until you like it, then have someone you are directing the work towards read it. They can tell you if you need more description. Like if for example you were writing about water and someone had never seen water you would want to go into more depth describing water. Lots of times similes and metaphors can get a paragraph of description into one sentence. But, people will fill stuff in if you don't want to describe. Sometimes knowing the bigger setting will help people picture stuff. Like the time. Is it in 1997 or in the future. Things like that.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:38 pm
Idraax says...

Ok! I also remember reading somewhere that said is something that most readers tend not to notice. I don't think I notice the word said if it's used. I know I notice actions, though.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi