z

Young Writers Society

Cross Dressing Predicament

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:11 pm
Moriah Leila says...

I am not entirely sure this is the right place to ask this question but hopefully someone can help me out. Currently I am writing a novel about a girl who cross dresses so that she can live on a pirate ship. My problem is that I am telling the story from the two main character's perspectives, and I am not sure when to call her a her and when to call her a him. Here is a small excerpt to show you what I mean.

“I thought you might be hungry.” Jo explained, balancing the tray on the chest at the far end of the cabin. Jo pulled a shiny green apple out of her pocket. “Unfortunately, all I can offer you is some hard tack and grog. But I was able to sneak an apple.”
Willelm took a bite of the tart apple, watching Jo balance himself in one of the hammocks. “Why are you being so kind to me?”

Should I refer to her as a her when I am telling the story from Jo's perspective and then call her a him when I tell it from Willelm's perspective? Or should I keep it consistent and call her a her throughout the story, even if the other character's aren't aware of her true sex? Thank you for your help.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:52 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I'd say that since she is a girl, I'd have it as her (unless someone is referring to her in dialogue or thought, then they would use him). Since the reader knows that she is female, it should be okay. So long as there is a clear distinction on who knows she is female and who thinks she is male.
Got YWS?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 am
Kale says...

Well, what point of view are you using to tell the story? If it's third-omniscient, then refer to her as a she. If it's third-limited, depending on how limited the point of view is, having it vary based on the character we are following makes sense.

I suggest looking at how many times you jump viewpoints in a scene. If it is a lot, then referring to the character as a she would be less confusing since you'll be closer to the omniscient side of third-person. If you follow only one character's viewpoint at a time in each scene, then you're closer to the limited, almost-first-person side, and so switching genders between viewpoints would make the most sense. It will also add more impact to the reveal, if there is a reveal.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:37 am
Apple says...

Should I refer to her as a her when I am telling the story from Jo's perspective and then call her a him when I tell it from Willelm's perspective?

Do it that way. :D
I spy!

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:22 am
View Likes
JabberHut says...

My first instinct is what Lauren said, but Kyllo's got some good advice too concerning the different PoVs. :) *unhelpful*
I make my own policies.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:20 pm
Tigersprite says...

Just refer to her as a female, otherwise the readers will get confused. As Lauren2010 said, just make sure to clearly show whether characters know she is female or not (as long as they don't catch her in the shower, they shouldn't know...).
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind