z

Young Writers Society

Can an Idea be an antagonist?

Reviews: 2
Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:29 pm
kaonna says...

I've always wondered that because my friend is writing a story and it really doesn't call for an antagonist such as a villian. Since its a romance that takes place in the 18th century between two aspiring pianists. it talks about their hardships and trials to get to where they are in a 10 year journey between them. Its suppose to show the real side of what romance and life can really be, simplistic yet complicated. So should she make a character to fill that position of leave it?
Die Heilung ist der härteste Teil jeder Tragödie

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 pm
Teague says...

Of course you can have an idea as an antagonist! There's a myriad of different types of conflicts that all are pointers to what kind of antagonist you'll have.

For example, man versus man [as in human, not necessarily male] is pretty frank. Brave Hero versus Evil Villain.

Man versus self [or "man versus nature"] is probably the conflict you have here. This is the character versus an "idea" as you put it; man has to overcome the self and human nature to accomplish their ultimate goal.

There's a bunch of others that I'm too lazy to remember right now. Ask any English teacher; he or she should be able to help you a bit more.

[or maybe some nice passing person will clarify my description?]

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 am
Kang227 says...

Go, get Lord of the Flies. Read it. English kids go crazy because they think there's a 'Beast', but it's only the darkness of their own hearts.

An antagonist doesn't have to be physical at all.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

There are numerous different kinds of conflict. They can all be summed up in "Individual vs. X", where X is the conflict. For example:

Individual vs. Individual
Individual vs. Self
Individual vs. Society
Individual vs. Nature
Individual vs. Technology

You can usually sum up a conflict in one of those. In this case, I would say you have Individual vs. Society.

Go, get Lord of the Flies. Read it.

Ignore him. It's a terrible book. If you want an antagonist-free book, go with A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 pm
Black Ghost says...

I agree with the above posts. Your antagonist doesn't have to be concrete, sometimes ideas, settings, and even the who you thought to be a protagonist can all be the villain. ^^

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:52 pm
Gahks says...

Conflict can be summed up as falling into one of three categories:

1. External conflict (conflict with outside forces: environment, technology, culture, society, even time)
2. Internal conflict (conflict with self)
3. Interpersonal conflict (against individuals)

Your antagonist, an "idea", seems to fit in with the first category. However, in many cases all three types of conflict exist in some way. So while you may wish to have an abstract concept as the central problem, you should also include elements of internal and interpersonal conflict to personalise and humanise your protagonist's tribulations.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 am
Galerius says...

yes, ideas do make good antagonists...however, if you want to have a pure idea as the villain, then do so skillfully or the story emerges as void of any conflict (the reader might not see it). if this is your first time doing such writing, i would recommend attaching the idea to a physical being, like a person who tries to get in the way of the romance specifically because of that idea. it makes the story flow easier.

like an above poster said, having the "Beast" represent human evil is better than just having human evil floating around.

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne