z

Young Writers Society

Book Titles and Chapter Names, Oh My!

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm
Jon says...

Well, if you have trouble coming up titles or chapter names, then you have come to the right place. Some of you might want to title your chapter or book before it's even written, don't.

I find it much more easier and *fitting* to do all of the titling after you finish the chapter. For those of you who already do this, this is pointless to read, but i know that some people on here do not do that. So in the future try writing your chapter first and then come up with the chapter name.

I've also noticed that if you title your chapter and then start writing it, the chapter starts to morph around what the title is and that's not always what you want. It's always better to do the writing first, try it and you'll be surprised at how much better your writing gets!

I've learned this from experience, so maybe it wont help you, but it wont hurt to try!

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm
Reason Invalid says...

Hmm... I guess if you plan your chapters through outlines and such, then titles and chapter names shouldn't be much of a huge concerns. I think it's okay to name your chapters before you write it *only* if you know exactly what you will be writing.

Other than that, I agree with what is said above, if you are one of those who meander as you write.
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:54 pm
Rilaiss says...

I always use temporary titles. That way I can actually call my story something instead of putting 'My Story' as a title :P. Then I just change it when I'm finished.
+Rilaiss the Half-Hobbit+

"You look too short to be seventeen!"
"How old are you? Fourteen?"
-common phrases when you're short

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I like naming the story after it's done too. Otherwise, my concept of a perfectly okay story is ruined because I want it to fit the title and the story has a mind of it's own. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:44 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I name all my stories and chapters before writing them. I usually think breifly about what will happen in the chapter, try and come up with a snappy title, then write.

I typically try and plot loosely. Betrayed and Plagued, for example. I thought of the basic elements I wanted in it, the major events, then just wrote. I do have a minor issue right now, but I think I've almost gotten a solution.

70 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 70
Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am
Derek says...

I use chapter names before to help keep my on track.
I tend to get off track so the title will help me keep my
focus on what i want to be writing.

I say before or after, it doesn't matter to much.
It is just a name, and can easily be changed.
The chapter name should kinda be a summary of
what the chapter is about so, after might be better.
I guess it just depends on the person.

As for the title.
You need a title for your book
when posting it. Period.
So making a temp name or
just a suggestion for the name is fine.
Just don't set anything in stone till it's
finished.

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl