z

Young Writers Society

The sound of success

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:43 pm
Gahks says...

Ever heard of synaesthesia? In case you haven't, it's when you experience one sense in terms of another. For instance, different musical scales might 'sound' like red or blue, people's names could 'taste' of anything from beeswax to earwax and days or months would mean various types of personality. The phenomenon has even entered our everyday language. We know what a 'loud pink' T-shirt is, but pink isn't a sound. Similarly, a 'bitter cold' wind doesn't taste of anything.

As you may have noticed, synaesthesia makes connections between seemingly unrelated senses, just as metaphors link apparently unassociated concepts. In fact, according to The Five-Minute Writer, research shows that synaesthesia, creativity and use of metaphor may share the same neural basis, so not surprisingly, it's more common among composers, artists and writers. It crops up in books: Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby talks of 'yellow cocktail music', while the teenage protagonist of Mondays are Red, a synaesthete, describes sadness as having 'an empty blue smell.'

You can use it too. The next time you listen to someone speaking, try to think of what their voice is like in terms of food. I think Barack Obama sounds like runny caramel, but John McCain's speech comes across as soft cheese. This might seem weird when you first have a go as you don't normally do it but it's a lot of fun, as well as inspiring! Who knows, you might find something that can go straight into your next novel...
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:57 pm
Reason Invalid says...

It could be about notes, not necessarily scales for music. Every note in a scale could have a different spectrum of colour.

Not everyone has synæsthesia for sounds. As a musician, you could consider it a gift like perfect pitch, but it could also be quite a burden. But I don't know about writers, I suppose it's good for metaphors and such.
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:13 pm
A Flawed Paradise says...

Awesome, Gahks. Personally, I've never heard of synaesthesia but I have noticed them used from time to time so it's nice to know what's been going on now. Great stuff, in my opinion, seeing as I've never been a very avid adjective abuser. I'll keep them in mind and make user I practice integrating synaesthesics into my writing, hopefully improving by ability to set the stage for my readers. Again, congrats and thanks.
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I was obsessed with this concept for quite some time, at one point. It's good fun!
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm
Sureal says...

I guess this explains why I describe the flavour of broccoli as 'white', and why my mum has no idea what I'm talking about when I say that.

Actually, it's not unusal for me to think of flavour in terms of colour. Weird.
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 pm
Sean says...

I've always associated numbers with colours for a long time, strangely... weird.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:59 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Ahh. Great time waster. I'm gonna try that sometime.

Haha. I wonder what the flavour of Cheetos looks like...

I hope it's pretty obvious.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

*CLUCKING INTENSIFIES*
— Snoink