z

Young Writers Society

Names

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:42 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

I bought a baby name book a long while back, and I use it 24/7! :D
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:20 am
emeraldmaria says...

I think for fantasy name or mythological names you should use letters starting at the end of the alphabet. Like for one of my charecters(sp) I used the name Velderi. I also love the name Venus. I also revoment naming your people after Greek or Roman god or goddesses and planets. But change the lettering a little.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:30 am
emeraldmaria says...

Oh and you can piar street names, neighborhood(sp), or past schoolnames. For the school names though I recomend you use them as the last names, not first.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:24 am
Jay says...

I actually find a lot of inspiration for names in the most unlikely places. I've got a character called Theobroma, which is a chemical in body lotion. (She goes by Brom for short).

I'm not a fan of the 'type random letters' approach. It gets annoying when I read a story where the characters have names like Fgeghyr and Eihfuv. I have no idea how to say those names and they scream 'made up' to me. I don't recommend using commonly used words as names either.

Exotic, archaic and obscure names work well for fantasy, because most people can actually figure out how to pronounce Nozomi, Sorraia, Hildegard and Bartholomew. It's very tough to invent believable names, and it requires understanding of language particles-it's not something you can just do randomly.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 pm
Carlito says...

What I do a lot of the time is when I get my school directory I look through it and write down all the names I think are cool or interesting. When I'm stuck on naming someone I can look through that list and find one that suits the person. When I need a name for a character that doesn't matter a ton I'll just flip to a random page of the directory, close my eyes and point to a name at random. If you don't have a school directory a phone book would work the same way too.
Or, another thing I do is I think up what the character looks/acts like and then I just think of a name that I think fills that connotation.
Good luck :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee