z

Young Writers Society

Losing the plot

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:37 pm
Gahks says...

I have a title - Sex, Lies and Chicken Chow Mein - and a rough idea (it's a comedy/drama about four British Born Chinese friends) but NO PLOT!

Please help! :D

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:27 pm
Tatra says...

The story idea sounds very interesting, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a plot. I'd think about what you want to include in your story, what you want to happen to your characters. Find out what the MC(s) want in life, and see if that brings about a plot. Characters are good at finding plots, and stories can be based on the characters.

Also, you could think of what genre you want to write in. It doesn't have to always stay as that genre, but genres do give out plot ideas. I mean, if you want to write a crime novel there has to be a crime, and if you want to write a romance novel there has to be romance. And, of course, now I see that you do have a genre. So, maybe think of the things that you find within the Comedy/Drama field.

Also, titles give off great hints of plots, as to plot bunnies. So, think of how the title and the story idea you have could lend to a plot.

Good luck!
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:22 am
Jay says...

Hey, this sounds a bit like Sex and the City! It could be a very entertaining idea. Here's some random plot starters off the top of my head.

-Someone gets pregnant
-Someone's close relative dies
-There's a murder
-Someone unwittingly/accidentally commits a crime and has to deal with the consequences
-Someone betrays a friend
-A teacher at school gets Alzheimer's
-Someone has to be a mentor to a 'problem child'

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain