z

Young Writers Society

How to avoid cliches in YA

218 Reviews

Reviews: 218
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm
View Likes
WinnyWriter says...

A lot of my ideas are for middle grade to young adult genre, and a lot of that naturally includes teens/young adults, and high school, possibly college, stuff like that. But I want to avoid being cliche with it, since some of this stuff can be way overdone and way over-trope-ified (new word of the day). Any ideas, tips, or advice are welcome here!

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm
View Likes
keeperofgaming says...

Some cliches are fine but just try not to overdo it like. Don't make the main character just attractive to everyone and things like that. Like try to include flaws, but not like gaping, absolute flaws, and if there is a cliche, try to point it out as a comedic moment.

That's my 2 cents.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

please, no love triangles, no long-lost heirs reclaiming their kingdom, no 2D villains only out for power or revenge just because :’) those are some tropes that annoy me the most XD it’s totally cool if you add a twist or some humor to tropes, though! like instead of the female lead going with the male lead in the love triangle, they all just end up as besties instead :>
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm
View Likes
EllieMae says...

please, no love triangles

*gasp* XD

Personally, I don't think there are 'bad' cliches that need to be avoided. Instead, there are just tropes that are frequently done poorly, which create a lot of stigma and can even create/foster stereotypes. So please write this, actually, I encourage you to go for them! Just do them well haha!!

Adding on to what others have said, here are some I have noticed from reading:
  • young children/teens outsmarting people who are clearly more educated (not saying this doesn't happen, but it takes away the fact that younger kids do not know EVERYTHING)
  • the idea of going from plain girl/guy/person to the most desirable girl/guy/person in school
  • hot guy has no idea he is hot
  • soulmates in high school/fate brings us together no matter what (for example that book, 'The Sun is Also a Star' -that is the only good example I can think of. It has its flaws but didn't suck too badly)
  • that drunk abusive dad that has no reason to be like that
  • violence is the only way to solve problems, or extreme reactions to minor problems (I am thinking mean girls vibes- totally adds of to high school character tropes)
  • the hottest guy in school is obsessed with main character but she doesn't want him, even though he is a DREAM to everyone else
  • the whole 'im not like other girls' mood or the 'chosen one' prophecy mood

Those are just a few... I could think of so many more lol
”Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards (so you might as well do Duolingo ).”

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird