z

Young Writers Society

The True Beginning

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:16 pm
Zanos says...

Hello wonderful people, this is Zanos. I am here to ask advice about where exactly to begin my first chapter given a specific sequence of events. I understand that there are many ways I can start, but I am not 100% sure which is the best launching point:

I will be slightly vague at first, as I want to maintain the specifics for the release of the first chapter here later on.

The main character is a young teenage boy.

So, the general sequence of events:

1. A family is expelled from their home country into an unclaimed wilderness where small fledgling communities have cropped up from other people who had also been expelled from that same country prior. While life in these small villages is hard, it is technically an upgrade to their past servitude.

2. Bandits akin to cowboys from the wild west roam this countryside on horseback, and show up to the villages every month to shake them down for resources. Their village gathers wild horses as payment in return for their survival.

3. A separate group, we'll call them templars, is hired to break the cycle, and the bandits that show up are slaughtered.

4. The Templars leave, but these bandits were just a subset of a larger organized crime syndicate. More bandits come and slaughter the village within days.

5. The main character and all the other young folk, including his younger sister, are taken to be used or sold as slaves.

----------------------------------

While I know everything that transpires, I don't necessarily know the exact point at which to start.

I initially started on the eve of the fight between the knights and bandits, but it didn't feel right as I had to look backward to explain things far too much.

Given what I've explained, where would you start this first chapter?

This isn't a timeline for the entire novel, just the set up.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:02 pm
Isbah says...

Hi! this plot sounds extremely interesting.

If I were writing that story, I'd start by showing the main character in the wilderness that is his home. Maybe show a normal routine day where everything turns around right at the end of the chapter.

The boy is remembering his old life at some time during his routine and that gives the reader the information that he was expelled from his country.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
~ Pablo Picasso

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat