z

Young Writers Society

Under the surface, there is always a conflict.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:42 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

Spoiler! :
Now, I'm not really sure where this poem falls. Whether Dramatic or Narrative, I finally decided it as Narrative. If I am wrong, please do let me know. It's been quite a while since I've posted something, so feel free to be harsh, I will love you forever. Though not too harsh. xD Enjoy!

Under the surface
Of skin and blood,
Their power-hungry souls,
Sleep and play.

Under the surface
Of happiness and love,
Are all the souls terrified,
Lonely and hurt.

Under the surface
Of words printed on a newspaper,
Lie emotions they cannot express,
the madness and pain.

Under the surface
Of fire and smoke,
Tears fall for those lost,
Their lives gone and tossed.

Under the surface
Of the clouds so high,
War shall never die,
As long as humans stay alive.

-
Last edited by TwistedMuffins on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 pm
View Likes
AdamBH says...

I really liked this poem, it's very intelligent and I particularly liked the rhyme scheme and how you break it in the end by moving the couplet up a line.

I did feel as if there was a sort of lack of progression between images until the last stanza. It just seemed like a list of ideas, so maybe you could use a metaphor that reoccurs throughout the whole poem and progresses till the end to make it even better.

Then, you could have a title linking to that metaphor instead of the current title, because this one gives away the message. You could also use more sound effects like alliteration, assonance, sibilance, percussiveness, etc.

A really great idea overall! Just needs to be more poem-like, but even as it is I still loved it so well done. :D Keep writing!!

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:37 pm
LemonyIce says...

Muffins! :D

So. Poem. It was really good, especially the repetition. It gave a good flow to the whole thing. But, at this part:

Under the surface
Of happiness and love,
Everyone’s souls are terrified,
Lonely and hurt.

The flow kind of broke. At least, when I was reading it, it became difficult for me to find a flow at this point. Probably because the third line was too long compared to the others. So you could write it as, "All souls are terrified."

Then here:

Of the words printed on a newspaper,
Lay Lie emoticons emotions they cannot express,

So. Here, firstly i think "the" is unnecessary. Then, "Lay" will be "Lie" because it's present tense. Also, I think you meant "emotions", not "emoticons". Or maybe that's just me.

Otherwise, I liked the poem! Especially the first stanza. It was a really strong way to begin the poem and gave an idea of what you were talking about. And the ending is absolutely true. :D

~Titi~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 am
MusicLover797 says...

I like this poem very much

Everything about it just screamed "Read Me" from reading the title i was captivated and i am so glad you wrote this. Everything you said is true and i want to thank you for writing such a great piece of work.

I was a little confused with some of your wording choices but it was nothing that took away from the beauty and truth of your amazing poem

Keep writing because i would love to read more of your work

-MusicLover797

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss