z

Young Writers Society

Sea of Snow

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:53 pm
dogs says...

Hey everyone! Dogs here with my newest piece! So basically this is just me talking about how much i hate winter lol, but I decided that there are aspects I hate and love about winter so in my next poem I'm going to write about winter in a good light. Do enjoy!!!!!

The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare.
And the dead branches fold
in the frosty winter air.

All I see, is a sea of snow
in blistering winds that blow
waves and waves of ice,
through these desolate lands they slice.

Hades's breath reeks
in the freezing air, plaguing this bleak
and barren land,
now polluted by Death's hand.

This use to be spring, where
it all sparkled with merriment.
And from the stars plummeted Hades's tear
shattering like glass, leaving all in encasement.

He's left this dream-land with death and decay
letting all hope drift away.
All I see is a sea of snow,
where Persephone used to sit... long ago.

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 pm
Niebla says...

Hey dogs,

I really like this! I found that the poem flowed really well when I was reading it and I love the images it brought to mind. Although it does show the negative aspects of winter, there's a kind of beauty to it as well.

I think there are a few tiny little things you could change it to make it even better:

The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare.

All I see, (I don't think you need the comma here) is a sea of snow
waves and waves of ice, (I'm not completely sure about this part. I think it might read better if yo changed the comma to a semi-colon, but that's just my opinion!)

Hades's breath reeks
and barren land,
now polluted by Death's hand.

This used to be spring, where (I'd change this "where" to when)
it all sparkled with merriment.
And from the stars plummeted Hades's tear
shattering like glass, leaving all in encasement.

where Persephone used to sit... long ago. (I love this last stanza!)

Overall, other than for a couple of things I personally think would make it sound better if you changed, I really liked this. It definitely created a very vivid impression of winter. I'm glad I read it!

Keep writing,

~MorningMist~

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 pm
creativityrules says...

Hello, Tucker! Rose here!

I really like this piece. Personally, I like winter, but I can understand how the cold does get dreary sometimes. I like this because it expresses your personal view of winter, and giving your view on things is what makes you unique. I'm looking forward to reading the "good side" of winter poem.

The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare.

This is probably one of my favorite, if not my favorite, stanzas of the entire thing. I'm not saying that it's perfect; in fact, I think that it could use a little bit of editing, particularly in the last two lines, like so.

The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare.
The dead branches fold
in the frosty air.

or

The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare,
and the dead branches fold
in the winter air.

These are just two suggestions. Personally, I'm much more a fan of leaving the word 'frosty' in the last line than simply using 'winter'; it's much more vibrant. The reason I deleted one of the adjectives in both cases is because I felt that they ruined the rhythm of the poem. In fact, rhythm's the only major error I see with this piece.

All I see is a sea of snow
and blistering winds that blow,
through waves and waves of ice,

See what I mean? The best way for me to find out if my poems have rhythm is to read them aloud. That way, you'll also find ways to use words that not only read well together, they sound good together as well.

All in all, awesome piece! Always keep writing!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 pm
murtuza says...

Dogs!

Lovely imagery that you've portrayed here. And bringing about the concept of Hades and Persephone was a really nice touch. This is definitely a great poem was losing me towards the middle. However, you picked it up really well and ended it beautifully. You've used some great words and that makes this poem really special.

The rhyme scheme you've used is great. And you've shifted in between two different styles. Try to make sure that your lines flow smoothly 'cause there were some parts where the elongated lines didn't really allow the stanza to be in proportion, thus making the rhyme quite forced. Though were only a few instances where this happened in the poem and it's not such a big deal. But to keep with the symmetry and the continuity of the poem, it's best to stick to the basics :)

So this was a sort of 'Part 1' of the Winter poems series. I'm looking forward to the poem you write where you speak on the good aspects of winter. As I always say, keep the ink flowing!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 pm
View Likes
snowberry23 says...

Hey! SnowBerry here :D
Your comments always make my day, so I decided that I should send a comment your way.
So, Here I go—

I loved this piece!!!
I honestly think your first and last stanzas are your best!
I read it too many times to count :D
I just have a few suggestions about the middle area.

dogs wrote:The Earth is cold,
the fields are bare.
in the frosty winter air. :D :D :D :D :D :D

All I see, is a sea of snow
waves and waves of ice,
through these desolate lands they slice. Perfect, dont change a thing

Hades's breath reeks
and barren land,
now polluted by Death's hand. I think you need to describe deaths hand...like...."now polluted by Death's stone cold hand" or something like that, if you get what I'm trying to say

This use to be spring, where
it all sparkled with merriment. I think where should be in this line, not the first
And from the stars plummeted Hades's tear This line is awkward and doesnt flow very well
shattering like glass, leaving all in encasement. I know you were trying to create that rhyme from merriment but encasement, to me, just doesnt fit here...

where Persephone used to sit... long ago.

Over all--I loved it!!

Keep Writing!
~Snowberry
When nothing goes right, go left

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:58 pm
hudz96 says...

Sigh, i love winter and your poem just makes it sound so dreary and terrible!!! :? oh bother you!!
But apart from that fact i liked the poem, the way you envisioned it with such a terrible view, i could feel the way you despise winter through it.
How about making another one about winter through a persons view who loves winter.
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 pm
dogs says...

Thanks so much for your replies everyone! The irony of all this is that a lot of all of your guys's great ideas and correction conflict with each other so back to the drawing boards for me lol! I'm just compairing all of your guys corrections and it is taking a lot longer then i had anticipated because they are all such great ideas lol! Anyways please check out my other good side of snow and winter in Lyric Poetry "Winter Air" Thanks everyone sooo much!!!

Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

What will live longer, you or your words? Something to think about the next time you abandon a project...
— Omni