z

Young Writers Society

Oh, the Things I Just Don't Need

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm
Vapor says...

Spoiler! :
Another one of my crappy vent poetry things. Again, not proper poetry, or at least I wasn't going for that. Sorry.
There you are again.
I don't really know who you are.
But I think I know one thing.

When I was little I sat on the swings.
I watched the other kids.
They were very happy.

I tried to take their hands.
To run and be happy too.
But I learned.

I should be happy in the backseat.

And I am.
I've learned to tell myself no.
To push away what I really wanted.

To be happy with what I have.
And not to think too much about what the people in front have;
What I could have.
But can't.

Time flies.
People fade.
I watch my body slip away.

But come back to life again.

For once I take the front seat.
I shift gears and I'm the one driving.
But y'know what's funny?

I don't know how.

So somehow I end up in the back again.
But I think...
I think, that I want you.

I can't have you.
I tell myself no.
It's breaking all the rules people told me to play by.

You'd be my rule breaker.

I think of it now.
Up at night, daring to share.
Holding hands and walking on air.

I haven't done that in a while.
Come to think of it, I never have.
I think it's time.
I think it's fair.

My dare to care.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 pm
annaseale1998 says...

This is actually quite good! I loved it from start to finish, but there are some things I would change.

They were very happy.

You should take away the 'very'. It makes the sentence feel sloppy somehow, and you don't need it. As soon as I got to the point were you said 'I should be happy in the backseat', I was completely drawn in, because it's such an intriguing prospect. The continued metaphor of the driving theme, and him not being able to drive are great ideas. You broke up quite a lot of the lines here too, which can sometimes make a poem jumpy to read, but here it gives the lines a dramatic effect.

My dare to care.

I love how you call this person 'my rule breaker', but I don't like the last line. The poem would almost be better off having just 'You'd be my rule breaker.' as the last line. Anyway, apart from those things, it was very good! I especially like the title, it's what drew me in in the first place.
-Anna
"For whether a place is a hell or a heaven rests in yourself, and those who go with courage and an open mind may find themselves in Paradise." - Eva Ibbotson (Journey to the River Sea)

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm
Gg127 says...

This is really good! I love the title. Also, it is very thought-provoking. However, the main idea is a little unclear and there is a repetitive use of adjectives such as "happy". Maybe think about changing that around. i always find that thesauruses really help me to replace simple words with more descriptive ones. Good luck! Keep up the great work.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 pm
missunderstood says...

I liked the title and the poem. Its well written. Yet, I think you should have a little bit more use of vocabulary. (I can barely use correct grammar so I don't think I'll be of any help there.) Its very thought provoking and I can sense some depth to the poem. I think the transition from a poem about life to a love poem was alright. Overall, it was nice. In the future, perhaps a little more detail and vivid descriptions would improve your poems. Nice job. :)
"You can be a king or a street-sweeper, but everybody dances with the grim reaper." -Robert Harris

See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney