z

Young Writers Society

The Breaking of the Black Mare

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:00 pm
Moo says...

Spoiler! :
So it's been a while. I've never been much of a writer of poetry, more one that prefers to sit back and appreciate it. But, I haven't written in an age and I figured I'd try my hand at it again. This will be entered into the library's poetry competition :D Some of the lines are a little clumsy and need refined I know, but I swear if I look at it one more time my brain will dribble out of my ears. One thing that is really bothering me is the last line. I don't think it's definitive enough, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

So... yeah. Go easy on me <3 Thanks to reviewers/readers in advance!

Moo

The Breaking of the Black Mare

With a casual flick of her burnished hinds
The next hopeful-tamer came tumbling down.
Suddenly the summer air was hazy with curses.
Amongst her snorts of triumph as she faded,
Dissolving deep into the sluggish heat,
Fleshy nostrils flaring against the stir.
One called her the Dark Lady,
But the others said she was anything but mannerly;
Barn sour, brazen, little else than a nag.
The lunge rope is brought out, a hangman’s noose,
Shaken out on the ground until the clip glinted
Like a hard gold tooth, snagging on the grass.
So began her primeval dance,
Her thrumming hoof-beats the steady heartbeat
Of a language long forgotten in this world,
Of liberty, beauty and ecstasy unbridled
So fast-faded and worn out to her now.
Turning on the far side in the tightest of circles
She revolves around the rough leather hands,
The wrench of the rope. This was her world now.
At first she moves with a smooth, supple roll
Of easy shoulders, fluid as poetry
The warm darkness of her eyes bright
Against the strain, but between her terse breaths
And the forks in her sweat, the cracks begin to show.
The first months were hard, the next harder still.
The days blend together. It is all the same.
The spur goads her going, the bit bids her stop,
Pulling her soft mouth to an angled grimace.
Her dark body reared against the friction
Between two battling wills of man and horse.
A black halo of forelock crests her head,
And a shriek builds in her burnt throat
As if a strangled cry to Epona. No more,
And then there was no more. She stopped
And her rider spurred hard. Slowly tired bones
Stretched across the hard pressed earth,
Solemn as a hearse. Her fringed lids flickered
And the infinite gloom underneath drank the world in;
A monochrome world of cracked leather and steel.

Last edited by Moo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 pm
ERZA says...

This poem was very bulky. You could have tried dividing it into stanzas. Other than that I really liked the poem. It was very sad and tragic. Also, try giving a bit less descriptions to make the poem light but strong.By the way great poem!!
Always and Never are two words to always remember never to use.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 pm
ERZA says...

This poem was very bulky. You could have tried dividing it into stanzas. Other than that I really liked the poem. It was very sad and tragic. Also, try giving a bit less descriptions to make the poem light but strong.By the way great poem!!
Always and Never are two words to always remember never to use.

72 Reviews

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm
Moo says...

Hi! And originally it was supposed to be divided into stanzas, 6 lines long. How the poem began to progress prevented that, however. And who says poem has to be short/divided up anyway? My Last Duchess by Robert Browing was the guts of two pages long, with no breaks.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. Glad you liked it. <3
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

72 Reviews

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm
Moo says...

double post, sorry.

--Carl Sandburg

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:51 pm
Niebla says...

Hello,

First of all, I loved this poem! The images this poem brought to mind were perfect, and the words you chose flowed really well. Although it is a long poem the entire thing flows; it is easy to read it smoothly from beginning to end without your mind snagging on any clumsy words or phrases. Instead each line flows beautifully, and the vocabulary you used is amazing. I don't think I saw a single word which I thought was out of place.

This is honestly one of the better poems I have read, and I love the story behind it too. You change slightly between tenses which can be a bit confusing sometimes but you made it work.

Keep writing,

~MorningMist~

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 am
Daisuki says...

As Erza suggested, the first thing I thought when I looked at this was, "This should be broken up. It's a little overwhelming." But when I actually read it - reading the poem is helpful after all - the words and lines flowed so nicely that I don't think breaking it up is necassary, as you have pointed out.

This might just be me, but another thing I was thinking was that the white (or grey, in this case) space to the left of the poem bothered me. I know this is because the poem is centered, but it was just nagging at me and distracting from the poem. I'd like to at least see how it would look if it were aligned to the left.

So, about the poem itself (sorry for the formatting rant) - it was fluid and beautiful and a brilliant piece of art. Someone said less detail? I cannot understand that at all. You got a story and a picture in my head that I could see and feel vividly. The description wasn't overthrowing the story, or vice versa. I always love it when the poem doesn't say straight out what is happening, but the title gives you the main idea instead. You did this, so I'm especially fond of this piece.

I'd like to point out some things, however I can't find any mistakes or think of any suggestions. Haha, sorry for being unhelpful! ^_^; But thank you for the great read. Right now the line that's really standing out to me is:

The warm darkness of her eyes bright

I'm not sure why - as this isn't really your most profound line or anything - but the imagery of warm darkness jumped out.

And thus concludes my review.
-Dai
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:50 pm
eastarcher says...

I have to say that you are very talented. There are many ways to present servitude and aging, and I think you chose yours well, with much tact. The imagery works effectively, the words are vivid, and the story as a whole is poignant is moving.

I like the lines:

"So began her primeval dance,
Her thrumming hoof-beats the steady heartbeat
Of a language long forgotten in this world,
Of liberty, beauty and ecstasy unbridled
So fast-faded and worn out in this world. "

But, unfortunately, I have to agree with those who said the poem should be split into stanzas. It definitely can be divided into something more manageable, and I think that would help it greatly. Though it is flowing and lyrical and well-written, carefully inserted breaks would show control and maybe even make it more flowing and lyrical and well-written.
Well, I want to be.

72 Reviews

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm
Moo says...

Thanks to you three for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. I know a few people would prefer to see it broken up, but the fact of the matter is that it would ruin the poem entirely. Its current structure wouldn't allow for breaking up, and instead it would just be fragments of the poem it currently is. Again I'm steadfast with my decision to keep it as it is :)

Lol Earstarcher, just noticed that in that stanza you highlighted I said 'in this world' twice... I'll need to fix that.

Thanks! :D

--Carl Sandburg

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster