Young Writers Society

Run Rabbit

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:00 pm
blonde&confused says...

Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run, run.

The rabbit tears through the field,
A white blur in the midst of all the green.
He pauses, his nose twitching.
Then he takes off again,
Hurtling himself through the undergrowth.

He runs as fast as he can,
as the farmer draws ever nearer,
His eyes bloodshot, his ears lying flat against his skull,
as the farmer takes aim.
Suddenly there's a gunshot,
A flash of light, a clash of thunder,
And the rabbit runs no more.

He lies on the ground,
Soaking into the earth.
His eyes wide and staring,
Red on white, his beauty soiled,
And the farmer draws ever nearer.

Run rabbit, Run rabbit, run, run, run
Last edited by blonde&confused on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H. Edwards

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 am
Cade says...

That's morbid. I thought after the first stanza that it would just be a cute little bunny. Bunny go bye-bye, darn it. I think the repetition of "Run rabbit" in the last line there added a certain creepy element.

Beyond that, though, it's kind of flat and straightforward. Rabbit runs. Farmer shoots. Rabbit dead. The language isn't really anything new, and the images are bland. Try describing the rabbit and the farmer in ways they aren't usually described. Here it's the typical white bunny with a twitching nose and the bad farmer with a thundercrack gun. What is this story supposed to show us? Why should we care about this rabbit? What makes him special? Why is the farmer killing him?

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:12 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Meh, it was so-so. It didn't flow very well and was quite startling and took a dark turn at the end. It seemed quite happy at first and then BOOM! No more cute little bunny. I would suggest spending more time on getting future poetry to flow better.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:44 pm
Pyxis says...

okay...

I agree with what the others are saying.

I liked it, though. Cute beginning, sad ending, odd poem.

But not a bad poem. :)

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:13 pm
nickelodeon says...

Ok, well i happened to like it a lot.
It's kind of realistic. There's not much to a rabbit's life. He runs, he dies, he's gone.

I thought it flowed very well. You stuck to the topic at hand, so i didn't lose focus and get confused.

You should capitalize the second run in the last line. (You didn't in the first, so you should probably keep it the same.

Overall, nice poem. It probably helps that I am an obsessive rabbit lover.

=)
You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
-Michael Pritchard

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 pm
Fabien says...

Despite what others have said, I liked it. I liked the fact that it has a quick, abrupt sense to it. I liked that it started all nice, then took a sudden, sharp turn for the worse. And the last line is eerie, but it fits. Keep it up. Peace.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:05 am
Cloud_Stepping says...

I really enjoed this poem it is quick and easy to read and actually kind of left me a bit in despair at the end of the poem but thats not a bad thing...atleast i was affected.

It was like i read over it quickly and easily and maybe was not drawn into any really complicated metaphores but the harshness, cruelty, and reality of the words left me after the poem sitting here a tiny bit in sorrow over the rabbit.
I am a big lover of animals so i have always been against things like hunting but i think this poem is a very powerful message for any misguided people that do enjoy hunting to the horror of an animals life being taken.
Keep up the good work.

Look forward to future poems

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:46 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

Whatever you do, don't change the last line! It's powerful. I love it.

As for the rest of the poem, just for an exercise, try compacting it to get rid of the vague wordiness. Experiment with outlandish metaphors. Really put yourself in that rabbit's place. This poem has great potential (besides, I'm a real sucker for rabbit poems.)
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:06 pm
BFG says...

The first line and the last line are the only parts that really affected me. Try to spruce up the middle bits some more.

Do you know that song, the one that goes "In a cottage by a wood, a little old man at the window stood..." ? It's kind of like "Bingo" or "My Hat It Has Five Corners", the way you replace a phrase with a motion each time. And the last line is "Come little rabbit, come with me; how happy we will be." It made me think of that for some reason.

Anyway, it's a good start. Work on those middle stanzas to make them more effecting (affecting? what's the word here?) and interesting, and this could be a very scary poem.
“It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.” - Lemony Snicket

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality