z

Young Writers Society

The Artisan is Dead

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:31 pm
Elizabeth says...

It's a short sweet poem that even Sureal will appreciate. I like my repitition and the ABAB form throughout the entire poem... it ended up being a very short poem, but a poem nontheless... I hope you all like it... In a sadistic way.

The artisan just died today.
Found face-down in the bed.
They don't know what to say,
He took a bullet to the head

The artisan died yesterday.
What did this man so dread?
Ask the people, they will say,
"This man just would not wed."

The murderer confessed today,
She was haunted by the dead.
Cried, "I killed the artisan that day
and, with poison in his soup, he fed."

The rumor went around today,
"Woman's out of her crazy head,
The artisan wasn't poisoned that day,
She put a bullet in his head!"
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:01 pm
Sureal says...

Well, I certainly did like it. Not sure why I warranted a special mention in the intro, but what the hey :).

I like the structure you used, the iambic rhymtm gives a sense of speech which suits the piece, and the short lines give a sense of movement and passing of time, fitting the story. And as a final plus, your rhyming doesn't feel forced :).

I'd like to be able to offer a suggestion on how to improve, but I'm no good at critting poetry (which is why I never do so), so I'm afraid I'm no good here, apart from boosting your ego ;). I'll leave that stuff in the capable hands of others.
I wrote the above just for you.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:40 pm
Cade says...

Ooh, very creepy, very enjoyable. The one thing I don't get...did the woman kill him? Is she crazy? Or is she pretending? What?

...I feel like this is something extremely obvious and I'm just not getting it right now. I hope to come back and read this and say, "A-HA!" Right now I'm just confused, but able to enjoy it for what it is. Very well-constructed, especially, and with a good story.

I don't know what to say,

That "I" seems to personal. The speaker is identified only one time in the poem? It was really out of place. Perhaps: "They don't know what to say."

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Random avatar

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:00 am
Elizabeth says...

Heh, alrighty... I was just thinking about that...
I found one line in the poem which I meant to change but as I was editing the computer crashed and that was all I had left...

Basically, you should get the idea he wouldn't marry her, and she went crazy about it... did she kill him though... or did the village idiot kill him? :P

You'll never know!!! OooOOoooOOOooo!!!

758 Reviews

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:01 pm
Cade says...

*throttles Elizabeth* Why do you keep me guessing?!

Mwahaha, I likes it with all its shiver-inducing creepiness.

Another question: What is the significance of his occupation: artisan?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Random avatar

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:27 am
Elizabeth says...

... Generally anything...

I mean, usually when you're doing something artsy, may it be writing, painting, sculpting, or training lions, you get caught up in it... and sometimes tend to tune things out...

He tuned her out.

Get it? Got it? Good. :P

758 Reviews

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm
Cade says...

I suppose anyone who's passionate about his work will get caught up in it, lion-trainer or not.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 pm
electrictoast27 says...

Hmm...very interesting. I've always found poems written like this to be particularly appealing. Right to the point. I like it.
"Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." -Charles Schulz

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler