Sonnets Don't Work for Me...

7 posts
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1050
Reviews 267
Whilst sitting under a tree
In the dark of a night
After a thinking spree

I regrettably tried to
Write a sonnet
But since I had
A bee in my bonnet
It didn’t quite work out
Much to my dismay
So I began to pout

What troubles you?
So they all did ask,
Seeing my face
Turning blue
As I hissed and fumed
My very state did scare
A rather weary moon

Once more I failed to
See upon the wall
A genius token tale
Of yonder and of yore
Upon a varied vale

But I regret that quickly
I must go as you
Begin to yawn, or I will
Not be back again
Alas that would be scorned


...:roll: ???
Last edited by Boni_Bee on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.




Random avatar
Gender Female
Points 890
Reviews 1160
Aww... it was cute... but

Sonnets: 14 lines of rhymed iambic pentameter
1 line consists of 5 iambs
1 iamb equals 2 syllables
And you can add a syllable or two to a line if it's nessesary

I wrote a poem for xanthan gum, which consists of these, if not a sonnet.

I liked this... but the lines were too short to be a sonnet anyway :P
I think you were attempting one... right? I mean... bee in my bonnet? :P Yeah, that's a sonnet.

Alas, Boni Bee, I must bid adieu
So after I sleep and after I rest
I shall return tomorrow anew
Don't get your hopes down, just still try your best




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 890
Reviews 15
quite funny :D

The second stanza especially flows well, and the 'bee in the bonnet' bit fits the author quite well :lol:




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1050
Reviews 267
Thanks... :) It wasn't meant to be a sonnet, because it wouldn't work! lol It is just a silly rhyming poem...lol




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1040
Reviews 411
Nice-very nice. The short and rhythmical lines are fabulous!!
I really liked this: “As I hissed and fumed
My very state did scare
A rather weary moon”
In the line “I regretably tried to” regrettably is spelt without a‘t’.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1050
Reviews 267
Thanks Sohini! :D I fixed that up...




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 3414
Reviews 247
I liked this! I have no clue what a sonnet is, but it was a wonderful poem all the same! I agree with Elizabeth. :D
By the way, Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(It's Sun. Sep. 17) 8)
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*



I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights