z

Young Writers Society

YWS Mentors

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:42 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

So you're new to the site? Don't know anyone, maybe things are frightening?

Introducing the YWS Mentors. The members of this group want to help YWS newbies like you. Their goal is to make newbies comfortable by
  1. Answering Questions that you may have.
  2. Guarenteeing that your first story is reviewed.
  3. Providing other support as needed.

If you want a mentor, PM one and they will be most willing to help. Who are they? I thought you'd never ask.

DarkerSarah aka The Guardian of Grammar

(Actually, please just call me Sarah.)

I like prose. It's what I read and write and critique. I try to give conceptual critiques as often as I can. Most of the time I'm pretty nice about things, but if there's a problem, I'll tell it to you like it is, but I also try to point out the good things in a piece of work so that you don't feel discouraged.

I love commas, and (ask Snoink), I tend to get a little comma happy sometimes, but other than that, I'm good with grammar and if you've spelled something wrong, or have an incorrect punctuation mark, or if your tenses don't match, etc., I'll point it out to you, because absolutely no one will get published if they send in a story with a lot (or any!) grammatical errors. I'm not pretending to be an English teacher, because I'm not.

I'm currently attending a private college in the South and majoring in Business, with an emphasis on managing and marketing, and a minor in Spanish. I like bubble tea and coffee and long walks on the beach.

Griffinkeeper aka "The Prologue Slayer"

I am a rather difficult critic. I specialize on obvious grammar errors and plotlines, and prologues. After a particularly gruesome slaughter of some prologues, I gave myself the title "Prologue Slayer." I have been writing for many years, but I spend more time critiquing than writing.

In addition to writing, I go on adventures with my scout troop and attends the local Community College.

I'd be a great mentor to new members who want to learn how to improve their storylines and storytelling quickly. I would not be a great mentor for those that do not handle criticism well.

hekategirl aka The Poetry Python

Hekategirl likes reading poetry, writing poetry, and critiquing poetry
She can help you on rhythm, flow and word usage. She can't help you with spelling because, alas, she is the worlds worst speller.
Hekategirl along with critique finds things in your poem that she liked and will comment on it, so as not to discourage you.
She also likes reading prose but she's not good at critiquing it. So don't pick her if you like writing prose all the time. She will critique it but she is not good at it as I said before.
Hekategirl is rather active (Can you say over 5 times a day?) so you can talk and ask her questions pretty much anytime.

Hektegirl would be more then a person that just goes around and critiques your stuff, she will be your buddy on the site.

Hekategirl would be a good mentor for younger members, like herself. E.g she won't be a good mentor for a 19-year-old.

Hekategirl lives in California. She has home schooled all her life, does karate (Tang Soo Do) and archery. She likes mythology, morbid/dark things, reading and astrology.
She is also a very random person to talk too.

(Skunk go BOOM!)

Need I say more?

Writersdomain aka the Knight of Poetry

Writersdomain (because it is a long name, you can call me Stev) loves to write poetry as well as critique it. She enjoys giving people suggestions on rhythm and rhyming as well and welcomes almost any criticism from other members eagerly (I won't bite your head off if you correct me...). Her pet peeves are incorrect spelling and non-descriptive words for extreme circumstances.

She believes that poetry creates a foundation for short (or more accurately for her, long) stories because they give a writer practice in painting a picture with their words. She loves to write stories, but never came them short enough to qualify as SHORT stories. She has a different writing style than many writers and focuses more on the mental aspects and lets their actions speak more than their words.

Writersdomain is pretty active on YWS, but she isn't on every moment of the day. She mostly posts in the literary forums though occasionally in the louge areas and such. She knows a decent amount of information about YWS and welcomes any questions you might have.

Though it may not seem like it at times, she loves to talk to people and would be delighted to mentor almost anyone of any age.

These are just the ones that have written bios. Other Mentors include:

Incandescence
Muse
Eloere
Sam
Snoink
nickelpickle
Reichieru
Yoshi
Crysi
areida07
dreaming mouse
The Black Rose
marching_gurl

If they wish, they can post their respective bios here. PM them if you need anything.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners