z

Young Writers Society

Hey there

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:40 pm
Athena says...

Hello I'm new and I just thought I'd say and introduce myself I guess. I'm Athena unfortunately it's not my real name but she's one of my favourite Greek Goddesses, I'm eighteen years old and I go to college in the south east of England. I come from a smallish town which people recognise for its bad reputation but choose to ignore all of the good and positive things that it's done in its past. For example when I was queing up in the local library to ask about a job the guy in front of me asked if they had any newspaper articles on the 1948 Olympics - the town I'm in held some of the swimming events, but people don't know that because they only see the bad. I've been writing for way over ten years now but got into it seriously when I was about twelve and could start writing longer pieces - the bad thing is though I'm so bad I can't write anything short unfortunately.

I read/critic romance stories or any genre really but I won't go near poetry sorry - bad experience with a teacher in English on that subject has put me off it for life.

So thats a bit about me, can't wait to get to know everyone here. :D

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:51 pm
J. Haux says...

Well, Hi, Athena! Athena is MY favorite Greek goddess! :D

What town are you from? I live in the US, and I'm not very connected with the rest of the world I guess. I may not know of it. I used to be a swimmer (now I'm a fencer...) so I think it's really neat your town hosted Olympics swimming events. Isn't it sad that people tend to focus on the negative? *sigh* The world we live in!

I've been writing for about as long as you have, and I'm struggling to write a longer story, but so far I haven't stuck with anything! :( Oh well. I have lots of interesting half-bits of stories.

Hope to see you around. :D Welcome to YWS!
SPEW to You

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 am
dallas says...

hi i am dallas that is not my real name eather it is what town i am from ha ha..i am 13 and i can't wait to here from you.

173 Reviews

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 am
J. Haux says...

You can call me Jacquie, by the way.

That's not MY real name either. Hee hee hee...
SPEW to You

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:22 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Not many people use their real name on the internet. It just isn't safe.

Welcome to the forums, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:28 am
Duskglimmer says...

Hello. I'm Dusky. My real name shall remain a mystery... as do most people's on the internet. But that's okay because there are people in real life that are starting to call me either Dusk or Dusky, so we could pretend that it's my real name.

But anyways... I lurk around different forums, go through different stages where I spend more time online and other stages where I don't come on at all, but I always end up coming back here. It's a really great community. You'll love it.

Athena wrote:I've been writing for way over ten years now but got into it seriously when I was about twelve and could start writing longer pieces - the bad thing is though I'm so bad I can't write anything short unfortunately.

I used to have that problem too. It annoyed me to no ends because anything I started would end up ten million pages long (yes, I'm exagerating, but not by much). But I have somehow gotten over that, and I'm sure you will too. You just have to learn how to limit your idea and just focus in on one aspect of it. I'm sure once you do it once you won't think it's so hard.

See you around.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

173 Reviews

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:31 am
J. Haux says...

It just isn't safe.
Exactly! :wink:
SPEW to You

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:00 am
Nox says...

Welcome Athena! Wow another goddess!

Enjoy your stay at YWS. :D
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:16 pm
Nefer says...

Hey Athena, welcome.

I also don't write poetry anymore because of my English teachers.
Hope to read any prose you may write. :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:12 pm
Areida says...

Hey, I'm Areida, but I'm unsafe and sometimes I tell my real first and middle names, though never my last. :wink:

I lurve your username; Athena is awesome, especially in the Odyssey. Hope to see you around the boards!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:37 pm
Firestarter says...

Heya, I'm Jack, welcome to the site.

What town are you from? I mean, what's it called. I'm curious (I'm from Manchester).
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:41 am
niteowl says...

Hey! Don't let English teachers and their notions about poetry put you off it for life. As none of mine have messed with poetry for a while I guess that makes me lucky. I almost let English teachers put me off of creative writing for life. So don't always listen to them.

Anyway, I'm Niteowl. Here's your gift: :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :xmas_wink: :xmas_happy: :xmas_cool: :xmas_evil: :dreidel: :menorah: :frosty: :thumb: =D> #-o =P~ :^o [-X [-o< 8-[ [-( :-k ](*,) :whistle: O:) =; :sick: :-({|= :-$ :-s \:D/ :-# :hearts_eyes: :love: :lots_hearts: :elephant:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil