z

Young Writers Society

My Life Story

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:18 am
Deemah says...

Hi,
My name is Deemah and I love reading. Naturally, I became fond of writing as well. Since I was little, I used to make up stories and wrote some in my native language. When I was able to read and write in English, I became obsessed with classic literature. I was addicted to reading to the extent that I would prefer reading than doing anything else.

A while ago I stopped writing, except in my journal, because I was criticized kind of harshly. My mistake is that I gave my teacher some essays without proofreading, she discussed the worst of them. I found such stupid mistakes that I would correct them myself if I read them, like uncompleted ideas, a missing full stop and stuff like that. I felt like a loser, like all my love of reading and writing was nothing. I felt I couldn't write anymore. I asked the teacher to discuss them with me, but I didn't expect such humiliation. My face went red.

I was disappointed and didn't believe in my ability to write, but I decided it is the thing I want to do, it is what I really enjoy doing. I shouldn't be weak for criticism, it is an opinion after all, and I don't care if I'm misunderstood. I will practice hard to improve my writing skills and keep on reading as much as possible.

I registered in this website so I can improve and be encouraged, especially by being surrounded by people who have the same passion and are on the same path. I will try to post my writings and read other members' writings as well to learn.

I know I have told you my life story, but I really want it out to get over it. Thankfully, I got over it and I've already started writing! :D

I'm really glad to be among you, it would be so nice of you to welcome me :oops:

P.S. I didn't proofread, I got to be more serious about it :wink:

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:39 am
Hannah says...

Hey, Deemah!

Welcome to YWS! Your story is very inspiring, and it reminds me and everyone else that even when we get really harsh criticism, we have to take it and move on. Most of the time it's meant to improve our writing, and if it's meant for anything else, it's just something rude we should ignore. Everyone on this website will definitely be giving you critiques so that you can improve -- we are all working together!

Anyways, though I'm sure you read the rules when you signed up, I'm just going to remind you of the main ones. :]

-- No chat speak.
-- Post two reviews for every piece of your own work that you share.
-- Be sure to rate your works appropriately.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your native language and where are you from? I think it's also inspiring that you were able to not only write in your native language, but learn to write so proficiently in another language. I'm still working on other languages, and I've never tried any creative writing in any of them, so you're great!

I was wondering if you'd like to get involved in a little even that's going on on the site in the next two weeks. It's kind of a reality show, where there will be certain tasks for teams to complete, and you can work together with other new members, make new friends, and learn a lot! I was wondering, then, if you'd like to be on my team. ^___^ Feel free to PM me or respond here, okay?

Also you should feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the site!

Again, welcome~ <3

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:00 am
Mira says...

Hiyas, Deemah! :) Welcome to YWS!

You shouldn't ever let anything stop you from acheiving your dreams. I'm glad that you decided to pursue writing and join this site. ^-^ I'm sure you'll love it here and learn a lot. I know that I have.

Anyway, I bet you've been wondering about the different colors that are used on members names. I'll tell you a little bit about that. :)

Black - Regular members.
Blue - Greeters. They roam the Welcome forum, waiting to greet all the new members. ^-^
Purple - Instructors. These people are the best critiquers on the site and help everyone find the writer inside of them.
Green - Moderators! Light green moderators are juniors while dark greens are full moderators.
Red - Admin! They run the site and make it the best possible place. ^-^

And now back to you! :) Who's your favorite author? And what about your favorite music?

PM me if you need anything! :)

Smiles!
~Mira

P.S. I think you should join on Hannah's team for the reality show! It'll be really fun for you and a great experience to learn more about the people on the site. ^-^
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:04 am
beckiw says...

Welcome! And all that Jazz.

It's 5am so I don't feel particularly coherent at the moment but everyone here is awesome, you should fit right in and everyone will help you with your writing and confidence :)

Should I mention I was threatened to greet you? xD I don't usually greet...ever lol

So yeah...friendship, questions...anything like that feel free to PM me. I'm sure some greeters will be along shortly to be much more helpful than I was!

I should probably go to bed!

Awesome to greet you! Welcome welcome to another year at YWS...

Bex x

Random avatar

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 pm
Deemah says...

Wow! Thank you for your warm greeting :smt053 , you made me feel so much at home :D

Thanks Hannah,
Honestly, I only scanned the rules, it's nice of you to tell me so I wouldn't do them again :smt002
I'm reading other members' writings so I would learn more, it's so wonderful :D

My native language is Arabic, and I'm from Saudi. I'm working on other languages, too, but I have a long way to go. Concerning the competition, I already received a message and I'm looking forward to be in :lol:

By the way, I like the rule not using chat speak, but to more specific, does it mean writing formally? Is my writing like this chat speak? And is it only in the topic that we write formally?
I'm sorry to ask many questions, but if there is a link of the rules would you post them.

Random avatar

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 pm
Deemah says...

That was so sweet Mira :D
Thank you for the colorful explanation :smt002 and encouragement
When it comes to authors, I'm really lost; it's joyful to read Austen's, exciting to read Dumas', cute to read Dickens', sweet to read Burnett's and stirring to read Dostoevesky's. I love Anne's kindered spirit, Jane Eyre's independence and Margaret Hale's strong personality.
I just can't choose, but perhaps the writer whom I always open my mouth while reading one of his works is Oscar Wilde.
I like reading self-help books, my favorite is Anthony Robbins' Awaken The Giant Within.

Random avatar

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 pm
Deemah says...

Thans Beckiw. Were you really theatened :smt110 , loool, I'm sorry for it, but I'm thankful to you and the one who asked you to.

I agree with you that everybody is awsome :wink:

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Hannah says...

Deemah wrote:Wow! Thank you for your warm greeting :smt053 , you made me feel so much at home :D

Thanks Hannah,
Honestly, I only scanned the rules, it's nice of you to tell me so I wouldn't do them again :smt002
I'm reading other members' writings so I would learn more, it's so wonderful :D

My native language is Arabic, and I'm from Saudi. I'm working on other languages, too, but I have a long way to go. Concerning the competition, I already received a message and I'm looking forward to be in :lol:

By the way, I like the rule not using chat speak, but to more specific, does it mean writing formally? Is my writing like this chat speak? And is it only in the topic that we write formally?
I'm sorry to ask many questions, but if there is a link of the rules would you post them.

^____________^ It's always fantastic to read all the other works on here. I learn a lot from every different thing I read and even more when I sit down to critique -- trying to remember all the things they could work on and how to avoid that in my own writing.

I've only ever learned one word of Arabic -- toufah -- and I've forgotten how to write it, but I have a few friends from Algeria who speak Arabic and French, and I mostly speak with them in French. xD

Also, I'm glad that you're participating in the event! :D It'll be great to get to meet new people and get involved. I hope we have fun together.

Hmm. You're not asking too many questions at all -- don't worry. :] To YWS, chatspeak is when you speak with abbreviations or numbers instead of spelling out the words. For example: saying 'u' instead of 'you' or '2' instead of 'to/too'. You're perfectly fine typing how you are. :]

PM me if you have any other questions, okay!

Also, feel free to reply to more than one post in /one/ post of yours. You can quote what the other people say by putting [ quote ] and [ /quote ] around a block of text {without the spaces}, and then they'll know exactly what you were replying to. That way you won't have to use multiple posts to reply to multiple people. :D

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:51 pm
beckiw says...

I found out I was actually threatened to greet someone else xD It was 5am!

But yeah, I'm glad I did greet you. You seem like a very nice person :) I don't tend to meet people on YWS unless they come on the chat lol I'm very lazy forum wise...

Hope that you are getting on OK!

Bex x

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:32 pm
Mira says...

I've only read one of Austen's book, but I have to agree that she is amazing. Dickinson is great as well. :)

Sounds like you just have too many favorites. ^-^ I have the same problem... lol It too hard to just pick one person!

How is everything on the site so far? You enjoying yourself? I hope so. ^-^

Smiles!
~Mira
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Live says...

Hey Deemah. Nice to meet you. I remember I once stopped writing too because everybody who didn't matter, including my teachers, were putting me down and at that time, 11 or 12 I remember, and I thought highly of their opinion. But anyways, I'm so glad I started to write again and I'm so glad you have too. Don't let anybody get you down!
Don't let anyone steal your dream. It's your dream, not theirs. -Dan Zadra

Random avatar

Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm
Deemah says...

PM me if you have any other questions, okay!

Also, feel free to reply to more than one post in /one/ post of yours. You can quote what the other people say by putting [ quote ] and [ /quote ] around a block of text {without the spaces}, and then they'll know exactly what you were replying to. That way you won't have to use multiple posts to reply to multiple people.

Thank you, you're very kind :D

Thanks Hannah for explaining. I didn't want to have a long post, but it's better than several posts :wink:

----

But yeah, I'm glad I did greet you. You seem like a very nice person I don't tend to meet people on YWS unless they come on the chat lol I'm very lazy forum wise...

Hope that you are getting on OK!

I'm glad you greeted me too. Thanks :oops:.
I'm sure getting well here :)

------

I've only read one of Austen's book, but I have to agree that she is amazing. Dickinson is great as well.

Sounds like you just have too many favorites. ^-^ I have the same problem... lol It too hard to just pick one person!

How is everything on the site so far? You enjoying yourself? I hope so. ^-^

lol, yeah.
Everything's fine with the site, and I'm trying to read in it, Thanks for asking :D

------

Hey Deemah. Nice to meet you. I remember I once stopped writing too because everybody who didn't matter, including my teachers, were putting me down and at that time, 11 or 12 I remember, and I thought highly of their opinion. But anyways, I'm so glad I started to write again and I'm so glad you have too. Don't let anybody get you down!

Thanks Live, and nice to meet you too! :D
Yeah, I understand. I wouldn't care of the teacher's openion if I didn't think highly of her. She has always encouraged me and admired my essays, that's why I was in a kind of shock when she criticized me in that way. But I'm glad you got over it, and look at you now I'm sure your going to be a great writer :smt038

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack