z

Young Writers Society

Introductions and a Mayonnaise question.

Reviews: 1
Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:32 pm
Jaclyn Lyle says...

Hey there. I'm Jack, Jacky, Jaclyn . . . I'm not schizophrenic or anything, those are just other names you can call me. I'm a proud Canadian, sixteen, and I have a habit of jumping the gun a little.
Sorry for violating the sanctity and systematic ways of your site with my sporadic and anarchic ways. :lol: I have a habit of rushing and not reading rules--a deadly combination if you ask me. As a result, I posted a poorly edited and all around terribly written few chapters on here. I admit that I had no clue what the whole 2:1 ratio was, and I never thought to introduce myself.
So I'm thinking I'm going to take it a little slower. I'm going to delete what I have on here, get to know the site, review some material, and then post some of my better stuff.
So, anyone have something they want me to review? I suck at punctuation, but as far as spelling and structure go, I can be pretty helpful.
-Jack

Also, I have a totally irrelevant question. Why does putting mayonnaise in everything make it a salad? :?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 pm
Rydia says...

Hi there, welcome to the site! I think I shall call you Jackie if that's not too bold of me? I've always rather liked Jack/ Jackie as a nickname but alas, it just wouldn't suit me. I think I'd only confuse people. In return you can call me Heather or anything that you can devise from that or my user-name :)

Yes, reading the rules does give you a step up around YWS but we're quite willing to over-look a little impulsiveness. It can actually be a very good trait to have sometimes. I myself am more akin to over-cautious though I seem to be gaining confidence of late ^^

As for mayonnaise, I'm much more a salad cream sort of girl so my salad rarely involves mayonnaise. Does that make it still salad? I think what you're more likely referring to though is the lack of good salad served in establishments. It is a little off putting when your supposed salad garnish is two lettuce leaves, a slice of tomato and one packet of mayonnaise. Not what I call salad at all XD

So! Other things you might like to know, well the site has user-groups which are pretty fun and storybooks, those are under the literary misc section if you want to check them out. There's also a mentor system so if you're feeling a little lost or want to meet a new person (free reviews included :wink:) then follow the link in my signature and see if it's to your liking,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:50 pm
Jaclyn Lyle says...

Thanks, Meowth. xD (that was derived from your avatar. Hope you don't mind.)

Kitty15 wrote:As for mayonnaise, I'm much more a salad cream sort of girl so my salad rarely involves mayonnaise. Does that make it still salad? I think what you're more likely referring to though is the lack of good salad served in establishments. It is a little off putting when your supposed salad garnish is two lettuce leaves, a slice of tomato and one packet of mayonnaise. Not what I call salad at all XD

No I mean like . . . macaroni salad. :shock: Why is it even called salad?

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:06 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Heya Jack and welcome to our wonderfully addictive world of YWS!

Woah...:shock:... I never noticed that. Well I suppose if you put mayo on some things, like boiled eggs, tuna, and other stuff, it becomes a salad, but not all sandwiches are considered salads. Like a hamburger isn't a salad when you put mayonnaise on it, because that would be just plain confusing. :P

Anyways, back to topic! So I think I'll just explain a few rules to you first.

~The 2:1 ratio is when you review two pieces of work before posting your own. In other words, there should always be at least two reviews for every piece of work you've submitted on YWS. So best get reviewin'! :D

~Your critiques must be at least 3 sentences long, or else they won't count as a critique. Also, try and put thought into your reviews, so the writer will benefit and improve their writing skills.

~Please do not use chat-speak or CAPs. This means dnt tk lk dis and DO NOT TALK LIKE THIS!

If you have a question or would like a review from me, feel free to PM me! :D
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 pm
Rydia says...

Meowth works for me!

And oh, yeah! That sort of salad, haha. Yeah, it's really silly.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Jack, welcome to YWS! :D

Love the avatar by the way. :)

Have you seen the Groups yet? If not, they're really worth checking out. There are about a million so you're bound to find some you like. Don't hesitate to join, they're a great way to make some fast friends and learn more about different aspects of writing.

Are you ready for some hard questions?
What's your favorite genre to read/write? What kind of music do you listen to? What's your favorite kind of soup? What's your baked good of choice? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:33 pm
Jaclyn Lyle says...

Alright, groups sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for that helpful bit of info.

Oooh, questions! Alright then . . . my favorite genres would have to be horror, fantasy and mystery.
I listen to darkwave (try listening to Collide--they're amazing), rock (Queen, Breaking Benjamin), basically everything as long as it isn't rap, country, and bubbly disney pop crap. And I'm not a big fan of that really intense death metal stuff. A little screaming's okay, but there's a fine line between music and noise.
My favorite soup is mushroom. And tomato because I always feel like a vampire when I eat it. :twisted:
Baked goods . . . I'm not really a sweets person. Wait! Goldfish crackers are baked now, right? Those, then.
If I were a shoe, I'd be a sneaker. Cause I'm . . . sneaky. :smt077 Or a slipper, because I'm . . . slippery?
If I could have any superpower, it would have to be . . . telekinesis. You can get away with anything.

Thanks guys, you were really helpful. Thanks for the warm welcome. :wink:

-Jack

I'd be a quote vigilante. A literary Batman. Someone had better be quoting me now!
— Feltrix