z

Young Writers Society

Hi, I'm new...

Reviews: 4
Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:46 am
wearebright says...

...Of course that's terribly obvious because I made this topic. Anyway, I decided to follow Nate's advice {THANKS NATE!} so here I am.

I feel like I should put more here. There's just this huge blank box and its still really, really empty. What I wrote up there just doesn't seem to cut it, it seems lame and so 'first day of school I'm so cool but no one else thinks so'. Or maybe that's just me.

Okaayy, maybe I'll just ignore my ODD and not erase every thing I just wrote and just open the lines of communication. Yeah.

So... I call my self a poet {only under Franklin standards, of course} what do you call yourself?

I am also the Queen of run on sentences and grammar errors, hehe.

Does any one else notice the spaces I put to make it look like I filled this freakin' white box?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 am
StellaThomas says...

Hey Bright! Welcome to YWS! You can call me Stella...

Yes, Nate is a wonder. We all love him here...

Yes, it is a bit first-day-at-school, but really, it's first-day-at-YWS, which is better, right? Now, hopefully you've read the rules, but if not, the three that we generally reminds newbies of are:

-For every piece of your own work you post, you need to review other people's. Also, make your reviews constructive - members don't like reviews that say "OMG that was so great please write more." A good review is pretty long, has criticisms as well as compliments and is, you know, friendly. You'll see good reviews on the site -especially by people with purple names...

-No chatspeak. If you're not the world's best speller or grammar...er(?), it doesn't matter, jst dnt tlk lyek dix k?

-And keep the caps to a minimum, if you can. Otherwise it sounds like you're shouting at people...

So other than that, you're a poet, eh? Poetry dislikes me, but there are loads of people who like it on here... Where are you from (country wise, or if the States, which State?) And who are your favourite poets/authors? Your other interests?

Anyway, I hope you stick around, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

-Stella!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:55 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Bright and welcome to our big YWS family! :D I'm Selene and it's very nice to meet you. *shakes hand*

Expanding upon what Stella just said, make sure your reviews are at least three sentences long, otherwise they won't count as a review.

Also, try and be optimistic when you're critiquing other people's work. Help them get better at what they write, because even if someone's writing is horribly atrocious, just don't say that to them. It brings down their confidence in their writing and can even make them stop writing. :shock: The most helpful thing to do is point out people's mistakes, and help them learn from them. When you're nice while reviewing, you make everyone happy. :D

If you happen to receive a harsh review, please don't take them to heart. I know there are certain members that like to shred work into bits, but I swear, they have good intentions. All they want is for you to grow as a writer and learn even more about what you write, what mistakes you've made, and how to make it better.

Please review your work. If the content in your writing contains the F-word, sex scenes, or mature content, please rate it R. This allows your work to be featured on the main page as long as it's PG-13 and under. That way, you'll get more reviews on your work, and, of course, that's what we all want.

So do tell us more about yourself!

~What's your favorite food?

~Do you prefer poetry over fiction?

~Do you prefer typing your stories out on the computer or handwriting them?

~What's your favorite book?

~Do you have any pets?

~What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Okay, that's it for now. If you have any question, or would like me to review your work, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 am
wearebright says...

Thanks guys! :)

I can tell by the rules I'm gonna like it here. Although my reviews get a little crazy and to be honest I feel like a retard writing them. Just 'cause I have no idea what I'm talking about. I guess that's something that I can work on.

Stella: Poetry dislikes me as well. Haha, it just can't get rid of me. I'm from the States, Oregon to be specific. To bad its a awful and cloudy summer right now.

Poet, author wise. That's a hard one. Francesca Lia Block is a good one, shes a poet with a story to tell. But I have a love/hate relationship with her books.

Other interests? Everything I can get my hands on artistic wise. Painting, drawing, stories, poems, music. I'm even making jewelry these days. unfortunately this makes me mediocre at best at all of them. When ever I'm doing one I get inspired to do the other so there is very little time to grow my skills in any of them.

Selene:

Favorite food: all Indian food... Curry, yum.

Poetry, fiction: Both, I love writing fiction but can never get past the first five pages. Sigh.

I have so much more inspiration hand writing things, but Word is just sooo convenient. I'll often start something on one and then finish it on the other.

Favorite book... Thief Lord by Cornelia Caroline Funke and Redwall by Brian Jacques. They hold a special place in my heart because with out them I would never have known how amazing it is to tell a very odd story.

A cat and a dog :)

Everything, hehe.

Thanks guys, even though I'm a day late I really appreciate your replies.
Last edited by wearebright on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 am
forever.always says...

Hi there wearabright!

Haha, yes, I did notice how you added spaces to fill up the box. Don't worry about it, it's all good. ;)

Anyways, welcome!!

I'm new here too, I just made my account a few days ago, but I got used to the site pretty fast...hopefully you will too!

Have fun clicking around the forums, it's really helpful in my opinion.

Happy Writing! =)
"I've got too much soul for the world." -Too Fake (Hockey)

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Hey Wearebright ^^ Shina, one of the instructor-greeters of YWS. Welcome! It is my job and my pleasure to greet the newbs of YWS ;)

Just a few things...

Never do the following:

USE CAPS!

Uze chtspek gurlfraaaaaaan.

Post two pieces of work for every one review.

Insult people and use mean words like a toilet-mouth.

That's basically the basics!

Other than that, just get active, be active, and maybe pop into chat ^^

Good Lucky and Have a Lovely Day ;)
-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:03 am
Hannah says...

Weare!

I loved your poem, and I thought I would stop by your welcome thread. Firstly, you should let me know if there is a specific name you'd like us to call you, or if Weare is fine. xD

But secondly, I would just like to let you know how much I appreciate your response to the reviews on your piece. It is great whenever a member thanks their reviewer, but it's especially nice when you take the time to comment back on each of our comments and let us know what you thought of them.

I must admit, I don't do that nearly as much as I should, but in my opinion, you should keep that up. If your board gets too crowded, though, feel free to respond to reviews through PM messages, as that would probably guarantee that your reviewer gets the thank-you that you sent to them.

Also, if you haven't heard about JulNoWriMo {July Novel Writing Month} or NaNoWriMo {the same but in November}, I would recommend checking them out. You mentioned you have a problem getting past the first five pages of fiction, and I don't know what /your/ reason is, but mine was always that I'd get OCD and have to go back and edit anything I'd written, so I'd never make progress. Jul and NaNoWriMo's are both events that get you to skip the editing-while-you-write process and just get to a word count goal. I think if you participated in an event like that, you might learn a lot about how to press through in your prose writing.

Since JulNo is already about half-over and NaNo doesn't start for a while, you might also consider Googling 'AugNoWriMo' which is about the same event for next month. The difference about AugNo, though, is that you can set your own, flexible word count goals for yourself instead of sticking to the normal 50k.

Hey, please be sure to let me know whenever you post any of your other work, okay, because I really enjoyed your poem. Also, feel absolutely free to PM me if you have any questions about anything -- I'm here to help!

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Random avatar

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:39 am
sparky123231 says...

hey hey :)

i am also a newbie

and i call my self a poet/play write/ song writer

...infact ..i just call my self a writer in general lol

im looking forward to reviewing your work as i loooooove poems :D

and yes I am also the king of grammar errors

also to the rest of you :) help me with my plays by reviewing them and leaving feedback

I shall be posting some more shortly :) xx

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Elinor says...

Hey Bright! Welcome To YWS! How are you doing? My Name Is ThornedRose, but you can call me Thorn, Rose, or TR :-). Are you working on anything right now? A novel, a poem, a short story? Have you ever written any scripts?

Feel free to drop by my page - 'just click the 'portfolio' next to my name, where you can learn more about me, and send me a friend request or a PM :-)

I hope you have fun here on YWS!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:44 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Hello! I am SimonCowellLuver also known as around here as SCL or just Simon. Doesn't matter to me what you call me! Welcome to the big YWS! :smt006

Well I am going to explain a few rules for you ok:

1. 2:1 ratio which is you post a writing then write 2 reviews. That is simple enough right? :lol:
2:No caps: NOTHING LIKE THIS it becomes annoying after awhile.
3:No chat speak for example u or cya l8r
4 be respectful to everyone

The most important thing is to have fun! :mrgreen:

Also there are different sort of people around that is why the colors of their name is different colors black is for normal members, blue is for greeters, purple is for instructers, green is for moderatos and red is for admin.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime!

See you around! :smt041

SCL (SimonCowellLuver) :smt042
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden