z

Young Writers Society

Greetings From Planet Random (I'm New...Hi!)

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 am
KayCWriter says...

Hi everybody! I'm new to YWS, but I'm really excited to be here! I'm Kayleigh, I'm 15, and as you will probably notice by the time I'm done rattling on here, I tend to be sort of hyper and random. I'm completely aware of my tendency to go off on a tangent and start chattering on about anything that pops into my head... please be patient with me. I'm really not being annoying on purpose! (At least, not usually... :wink: )

I'm homeschooled, and have been homeschooled since I was in the 2nd grade. (I tried a semester in public school in the 6th grade, but my heart remained with my homeschooled friends... I wrote a poem about it later.) I've been writing stories and poems since I've been able to hold a pencil. Most of them are in some way based around the antics of younger kids, which is due to the fact that the inspiration for many of my stories comes directly from my irritating siblings. I love music :smt020 , piano and singing in particular, but chances are, if it's an instrument, I've tried to play it (or I really want to!). By the time I'm 18, I want to be fluent in at least two languages. I'm working my way there with Spanish, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. I also love ballet, tap, video games, manga, sewing, gardening, and programming... and I come from a long line of people who don't have hobbies, but obsessions. Oh and... *ahem*... did I mention I'm not that great of a speller?

Anyway, I'm still not really sure about how everything works here, but after piddling around a bit and wandering through some of the forums, I'm really psyched and hoping to learn! I can't wait to get to know some of you guys, and hopefully I haven't scared everyone with my hyper-ness! :smt101

Live, Laugh, and Love! :lol:
KayCWriter

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 am
Mira says...

Hi Kayleigh! Welcome, welcome, welcome to the wonderful world of YWS! :)

I'm Mira and I'm very happy to meet you. ^-^ Hyper and random is perfect. You'll fit right in.

I suppose I'll go over a few things. :)

~ NO CAPS. The people here DON'T like it. :lol: But, really, if you need to emphasise a word, I'd say italicize it. :)

~ 2:1 ratio. This just says that you must critique two works before you post anything of your own.

There are several different types of users on the site. Black/gray are the normal users. Blues are greeters; you'll probably meet a few of them. :) Purples are instructors; they critique peoples submissions and basically help everyone learn what they need to do to become a better writer overall. Green people are moderators. Red means administration. It would be best to fear and respect them. :lol:

But, anyway... Back to you! :)

Music is totally awesome. How many instruments have you tried playing? What part do you sing? Soprano? Alto?

Home-schooled? Super amazing. I've always wanted to be home-schooled, but I go to public school. It's not bad, but I've always thought homeschooling would be soo much better.

So, what do you usually write? I know you mentioned poems. :)
What type of books do you like to read? Action? Fantasy? Romance?

Anyway, it's really nice to meet you! I hope you like the site! :)

~Mira
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:08 am
View Likes
Alainna says...

Hey Kayleigh and welcome to YWS! *hands out muffins*

Don't worry about being hyper, we have several excitable characters on the site and you're going to fit in just fine. Mira covered most of the important stuff so all that's left for me to say is check out the Help and Support tab. It holds loads of useful stuff and is very helpful when you're trying to first get around the site.

Feel free to pm me if you ever need anything - a talk, a critique, a question. :D

¿Y hablas Español? Muy bien.

Hope you like it here!

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:44 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hello Kayleigh! Good to meet you. Just like Alainna said, you don't have to worry about being hyper. I'm sure there are a lot of people, myself included, who also behave that way.

So, you're homeschooled? How would you compare homeschooling and being in public school? I've been in a public school all my life (okay, since I was 5) and I think being homeschooled sounds fun. You get the challenge of finishing a semester's work in half the time.

Anyway, Mira and Alainna covered most of the important things. If you'll look at the top right hand corner of the page, you'll notice that there's a guide to help you work around the site. It's very informative, and if you haven't looked at it yet, this is a good time.

So, that's all I can offer for now. If you have any questions or anything you need, don't hesitate to PM me. I hope to see you around the forums sometime. I'll be keeping an eye out for your poetry. See ya, Kayleigh!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Kayleigh! Welcome to YWS! You can call me Stella...

Oh, it's so nice to see a new member who's prepared to talk- usually they're the ones intimidated by the hyperness and randomness of YWS, not the other way around!

So you have a lot of interests eh? I play the piano, but I can't sing to save my life, and I can only do the bare minimum of Irish dancing and some of some random dance called Ceroc (?) that I learnt this year in school with a few friends... it was quite funny...

So what do you like to write the most? Poems, fiction, both? Who are your favourite authors?

I thoughts I'd just give you a bit more info about the site:

Check out writing_tips.php << The Knowledge Base. This has loads of really useful articles about grammar and beating Writer's Block and other totally random stuff you'd never thought you'd have to know but is surprisingly useful...

Also: topic20053.html << This is a link to the Buddy System, where there are mentors up for grabs! A mentor will lead you through your first while on the site, help you about your writing, reviews etc. and basically be a hand to hold...

So I think most of the important stuff has been covered, but feel free to give me a shout if you need anything (although you seem bright enough, I'm sure you can work out the majority for yourself!)

Looking forward to seeing you around!

-Stella!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm
bludragon525 says...

Hey! Welcome to YWS!!!!!

Hyper and random people are the base of this whole site!!!! Well, at least a lot of people I know here are hyper and random.... (including moi).

You speak spanish? Cool! I'm a "french fry", as my fellow classmates like to call the people who take French. I'm planning on taking Mandarin in high school, but I'm afraid that's a good year or two away..... :(

You sing! Congrats! :smt038 I couldn't sing for my life. But I do play the violin and the piano.

The one thing no one has mentioned is rankings.

Ranks depend on how many posts you make:
New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

Well, PM me if you need anything! Or you could PM anyone else, I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :D

See ya around!

zOe
Help! I can't remember if I'm the evil twin or the good one!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 am
Dradian Far Runes says...

LOL!!! *sproing!!" :smt031
Hi there interesting person!
I'm random too! and homeschooled! and I love music... and Piano... And Video games... And I have irritating siblings! Yay! *Adds to friends* :wink:

YWS is awesome, your going to love it... :smt032

Anywayz... I need to get some sleep now... so talk to you later!

Bye,
~M.E.
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
The very breath upon my lips
All of these
Are windows
To you

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
— Neil Armstrong