z

Young Writers Society

Hey.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:05 am
Sslama says...

Well, hello everyone,

i must say this whole writers website is a little.... intimidating for me, i can be awfuly shy! Mostly i read and write fiction, or historical fiction. Poetry is not my best area, but I'm trying it out, and Edgar Allen Poe is currently my favorite writer. Don't know what else to say, so, bye, and if you read this thanks!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:26 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hi Sslama! Is there anything else you'd like to be called? You can call me Antigone, Anti, Cad, Tigger... whaever floats your boat. xD

Welcome to YWS. Yeah, it can seem kind of overwhelming at first.

Maybe this will help some...

Basic Rules:
--Chatspeak is not allowed. dnt tlk lyke dis. This is a writing community, so we like to see proper grammar.
--Swearing must be kept inside of the literary forums. This means all cursing must only be seen in a story.
--Rate your story accordingly. If it's about crazy cannibal killers, it probably shouldn't be rated G. ^_^ Violence, graphic scenes, and cursing up your rating. An f-bomb is an automatic R rating.
--Try to keep to the 2:1 ratio: for every one story you pose, review two stories of others!

Have you noticed that some people have colored names?

Blues: Greeters. They welcome new members.

Purples: Like me! We're instructors. Our job is to give you very good critiques of your work and just help all around to make everyone a better writer.

Lime green: Junior Mods.

Dark Green: Mods

Red: Admins

So. Edgar Allen Poe? I simply love his work. My favorite is The Pendulum one.

Any other authors you like? Music?

Welcome to YWS!

--Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:42 am
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Welcome to YWS! I'm Winter's Twelfth Night, but you can call me Winter.

Yes, YWS can seem pretty intimidating at first. But don't worry; almost all of the members are extremely friendly and welcoming.

Historical fiction! Yay! That's my favorite genre! What's your favorite era in history? I love the Tudor era.

Why don't I explain the groups? If you click on the big groups button on the top of the page, you will find a very long list of usergroups that you can join. Each of these groups has a specific theme like character development, Jane Austen, Twilight, anti-Twilight, foreign languages, and debate. Some of the groups have to do with reading and writing but quite a few don't. I'm sure you'll find many that interest you!

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:40 am
Roo 2 says...

Hi Sslama!

I'm Roo. :) Winter covered groups, and trust me, they're lots of fun, plus you can join as many as you want! I suggest the group 'Save Energy, Waste paper', because it's a learning group/support group for anyone who wants to better their writing talent and skills. I just barely joined up, and everyone is so nice.

So what are some of your other hobbies, other than writing? Have you submitted anything to read+review yet? I'd be more than happy to critique for you any time, so just PM me to get my attention! Actually, PM me any time if you want to chat or are feeling overwhelmed with being new and need a friend. ;)

-Roo
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:39 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey Sslama! I'm Chloe, but you can call me by my user-name or a variation of one of the two.

I'm can be shy too, especially when meeting new people, but usually there's only shyness when I meet people in person ;)

So do want to know what those cool titles under your user-name mean?
New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist (when you get your snazzy custom title): 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000+ posts

So, that's all for now, feel free to PM me if you need any help, or would like me to critique something you've written!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Sslama, welcome to YWS! :D

I'm kind of a shy person too. Don't worry though, everyone here is super nice and welcoming and just want to help you improve as a writer. :)

Everyone's already covered everything important....
I'll just skip right to the really hard questions. Are you ready?
What kind of music do you listen to? What's your baked good of choice? What's your favorite kind of berry? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 pm
Sslama says...

Call me whatever, Sslama, Lama, Candy, "or by any name you please- it is not a matter of any importance." That's from, A Room of Ones Own, by Virginia Wolf, has anyone read it? I'm having trouble convincing myself i should even finish it, it has some good points about topics at the time it was written, but it drones on a bit.

The Premature Burial would have to be my favorite story by Poe, but I'm looking for other Authors that are a tad bit darker like him. I'm not having the best of luck, but i haven't looked that hard either:)

Roo, i love that song! it was one of my favorites for such a long time! "through playful lips made of yarn, that fragile Capricorn unraveled words like moths upon old scarves." The music i like is vastly varied, Black Eyed Peas, Queen, Panic at the Disco, The Streets, Johnny cash, pretty much anything:) what about all of you?

Carly, your questions are amazing! Baked good of choice? um, do eclairs count? i think so. if i were a shoe i would be.... lime green and black, high top converse! i would love to be able to fly! right back at you, with all of those questions!

A wizard is never late. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to.
— Gandalf