z

Young Writers Society

New Young Writer's Society Member! Hi!

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 pm
FantasyWriter25 says...

Hi everybody! My name is Olivia, and I'm new here to Young Writer's Society! I have tried many sites that have creative writing themes and only a select few, such as FictionPress.net and WeBook, are continually used. Most of the site I visited were just too boring or complicated...I prefer sites that allow writers, readers, and feedbackers a greater amount of freedom. I decided to give this site a try because it looked very interesting and hopefully will live up to my expectations of it.

I'm really hoping that this site will work out for me, and if it does....well, this will be just another writing site I'll post at!
Olivia

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Olivia, welcome to YWS! :D

I explored around a couple of writing sites before I settled on this one too. I think you'll find that everyone here is extremely friendly and wanting to help their fellow YWSers improve. There are tons of categories to put your work in and tons of really knowledgeable people to help improve that work. I really hope this site works out for you too :)

We have some rules, (If you haven't already, I would recommend reading the complete Rules), these are the main things to remember. They're pretty easy. :)
-2:1 ratio -> For everything you submit for a review, we ask that you review at least two other things first. That's just so things stay balanced out and after all, you learn just as much from reading and critiquing others than you do when people just read and critique you. :)
-No chat speak -> We want to keep this site sophisticated, so try not to talk lIkE tHiS :) Try to use proper spelling and grammar too. (If you're not sure if you've spelled everything right and want to check, there's a tab above the reply window that says 'check spelling'.)
-Rate your work -> If what you post in the literary forums has excessive violence, swearing, or sex, rate it accordingly because there are a lot of younger users here that might not want to read that.
-Swearing -> It's okay in literary works, but outside of that, try to hold off. :)

Now are your ready for some hard questions?
What's your favorite genre to read/write? What kind of music do you listen to? What's your favorite kind of berry? What's your baked good of choice? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could have any superpower, what would you chose and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:22 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Welcome to YWS Olivia ^^ I'm Shina, one of those blue-titled people known as greeters around here *pokes title* It's my job and my pleasure to greet the newbs of YWS.
This site will definitely meet your expectations, and more. We have active young writers, greeters, instructors, moderators, and so on holding contest, having writing groups, reviewing, and so on. All you have to do is jump in to catch up on the fun.

We do have some rules, though.

No chatspeak! We like proper grammar and spelling, thank you.

Play nice, and be professional.

Rate your works accordingly, meaning if it's rated R, say so.

2:1 ratio. Review 2 pieces of work before you post to keep the flow of things .

My advice:

Don't take all reviews to heart. The titled members as well as quite a few normal members can be harsh in their reviews. Listen to their suggestions, though. They're usually right ;) Just by listening them your writing will improve ten times or more! They only give reviews in hope that you'll improve.

Just jump in, like I said!

Good Luck & Have Fun
-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 am
Hannah says...

Hey, Olivia! Welcome to YWS! =D My name's Hannah and I've been here for about six months, I believe, so I'm pretty well acquainted with the site. That means that if you have any questions about navigation, customs, or really /anything/, you should feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as best I can! =D

Also, I'd like to point out something about the different colors that some usernames have. As you can see, Shina's username is a blue color, which means she's a greeter {just like she said}. There are some other colors, though!

Purple, like the color of my name, means that the member is an Instructor. Instructors are known for their in-depth reviews and you can often PM any instructor for a review at any time. =D That is the same for me, so let me know whenever you end up posting some of your work and I'll review it as soon as I can.

Green members are moderators. Light green are the junior mods {they patrol only certain sections of the site} and dark green are general moderators. Red members, then, are the administrators to the site and they, well, administrate. These are good members to PM if you have questions as well. =]

Also, there are a few orange members who are retired admins or moderators. =D

That being said, I hope you /do/ enjoy your time here. I've never really been to any other writing website, so I can't judge YWS compared to any others, but I do know that this website is fantastic and you'll love it!

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca