z

Young Writers Society

Hi I'm new here

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 pm
*closedeyes* says...

Hello guys, I'm new here, a 19 year old girl who is passionate towards her writing. :) I love to write and in each writing I try to get some message across readers, I write mostly what I observe and what I feel; sometimes even imaginary work.

I hope I enjoy here with you all and you all like my work.
Take care.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:58 pm
peanut19 says...

Hey, closedeyes. I'm peanut. It's great that you write what you observe or feel so you can get into your character's heads or you can imagine things more easily. YWS is a great place to write because we aren't afraid of critiquing your work. I'm sure you have noticed the colors on the screen.

Blue are greeters they help new YWSers get around and will help you if you need it.
Purples are instructors they help with stories and review to help you.
Light green are junior mods. Junior mods help with certain things. So if you are having trouble with a certain forum you can ask the mod for that forum for help.
Dark green are mods they are responsible for YWS's excellence and the politeness of the members
Red are the administrators.
Orange are distinguished members these are people who have worked hard to make their mark on the site but are no longer active.

~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 pm
Carlito says...

Hey closedeyes, welcome to YWS! :D

Your style sounds really cool! I can't wait to read some of it! :)

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading the Rules, because they give a lot of good info on the site. The big things to keep in mind are...
-2:1 ratio -> For everything you submit for a review, we ask that you review at least two other things first. That's just so things stay balanced out and after all, you learn just as much from reading and critiquing others than you do when people just read and critique you. :)
-No chat speak -> We want to keep this site sophisticated, so try not to talk lIkE tHiS :)Try to use proper spelling and grammar too. (If you're not sure if you've spelled everything right and want to check, there's a tab above the reply window that says 'check spelling'.)
-Rate your work -> If what you post in the literary forums has excessive violence, swearing, or sex, rate it accordingly because there are a lot of younger users here that might not want to read that.
-Swearing -> It's okay in literary works, but outside of that, try to hold off. :)

Now are you ready for some really hard questions?
What kind of music do you listen to? Who's your favorite author? What is your favorite kind of ice cream? What's your favorite kind of soup? If you were a piece of furniture, what kind would you be and why? If you were a marine biologist, what animal would you study and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:11 pm
*closedeyes* says...

peanut19 wrote:Hey, closedeyes. I'm peanut. It's great that you write what you observe or feel so you can get into your character's heads or you can imagine things more easily. YWS is a great place to write because we aren't afraid of critiquing your work. I'm sure you have noticed the colors on the screen.

Blue are greeters they help new YWSers get around and will help you if you need it.
Purples are instructors they help with stories and review to help you.
Light green are junior mods. Junior mods help with certain things. So if you are having trouble with a certain forum you can ask the mod for that forum for help.
Dark green are mods they are responsible for YWS's excellence and the politeness of the members
Red are the administrators.
Orange are distinguished members these are people who have worked hard to make their mark on the site but are no longer active.

~peanut~

Hi Peanut, good to hear from you, feel slightly relax here now. :) Yes, since the time I was in secondary school, I started to recognise my imagination & the fact that I have ability to write.

Thankyou for letting me know about colours, I read them before but was slightly unsure.

regs,
closedeyes

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:16 pm
*closedeyes* says...

tnme22 wrote:Hey closedeyes, welcome to YWS! :D

Your style sounds really cool! I can't wait to read some of it! :)

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading the Rules, because they give a lot of good info on the site. The big things to keep in mind are...
-2:1 ratio -> For everything you submit for a review, we ask that you review at least two other things first. That's just so things stay balanced out and after all, you learn just as much from reading and critiquing others than you do when people just read and critique you. :)
-No chat speak -> We want to keep this site sophisticated, so try not to talk lIkE tHiS :)Try to use proper spelling and grammar too. (If you're not sure if you've spelled everything right and want to check, there's a tab above the reply window that says 'check spelling'.)
-Rate your work -> If what you post in the literary forums has excessive violence, swearing, or sex, rate it accordingly because there are a lot of younger users here that might not want to read that.
-Swearing -> It's okay in literary works, but outside of that, try to hold off. :)

Now are you ready for some really hard questions?
What kind of music do you listen to? Who's your favorite author? What is your favorite kind of ice cream? What's your favorite kind of soup? If you were a piece of furniture, what kind would you be and why? If you were a marine biologist, what animal would you study and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly

Hi Carly, thankyou for posting the rules I did read them before, but thankyou for posting.
I'll start reviews soon.
Carly I would like to know one thing please. I write mostly like I do my blogging. I mean most of my posts aren't exactly fit in or stand as short stories, poetry or play. But they are just simple thoughts and some are really provoking thoughts - which I'm doing these days alot as I want to make people think about and in a way they never thought before.

So if I want to post such posts, where can I post them exactly? Because mostly my writing is like this.

Regs,
Closedeyes.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:27 am
Carlito says...

If it's only a couple of sentences then I would keep it to your blog. But, try to turn some of these really provoking thoughts into really provoking stories. They don't have to be long. Maybe you could just do flash fiction like under 1000 words, and that you could put in Other Fiction probably.
Hope I helped! :)

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 am
*closedeyes* says...

Thankyou Carly for your help.

Well some of provoking thoughts are not only couple of sentences but are like 300-400 words. So can I post that in other fiction?

I will try to convert into short stories aswell.
:)

Thankyou

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 pm
Hannah says...

But they are just simple thoughts and some are really provoking thoughts - which I'm doing these days alot as I want to make people think about and in a way they never thought before.

So if I want to post such posts, where can I post them exactly? Because mostly my writing is like this.

Hi! Welcome to YWS~ I'm Hannah. Teehee.

Anyways, what I'd recommend for your dilemma is to try to maybe make them into essays rather than short stories. If it's simply a thought that you want to present to an audience, then it's probably better suited to non-fiction than it is fiction, especially if you don't have any characters or story in place. All you'd have to do, then is to make sure that the thought-provoking idea that you have can be put into an 'argument' where you state maybe your /own/ opinion on the thought and present what you think the answer is, or something like that.

Also, as peanut pointed out, purple people are instructors. Look! I'm purple. That means that whenever you post any of your work, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it and give some suggestions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or if you end up posting something, okay? =D

Again, welcome! =D

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown