z

Young Writers Society

Hey :)

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:36 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hi,
so i have never done anything like this before, my writing skills have been confined to classroom writing and the occasional poem. But, i just thought i would give it a try and see what it is like :D . Anyway, hope to get started very soon!
XXX
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:54 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Hey Aqua! Welcome to YWS.

You've definitely found a great community here. Everyone is very friendly and there's a forum for almost everyone.

There are just a few things you need to know before you get started here:

1) Read the rules. It will save you a great deal of trouble. =P
2) We have a 2 :1 ratio rule here. That means that for every one peice you submit for review, you need to review two others. This is to make sure everyone gets the reviews they are hoping for, and it's also a really great way to make friends and get people to notice your work. ('Hey, whose this girl whose been reading all my work? I should check hers out!')
3) No chat speak. This is, after all, a writing forum. :)

What kind of writing do you like do to? What's your favorite genre?

When you're ready to write or review, just check out the 'Writing' tab in the header and it will give you the option of submitting work, or reviewing. If you want to just talk with people and socialize, check out the community forums. And if you're looking to find some people you share interests with, head over to the Groups (also in header) and you'll definitely find a least one group that should interest you.

Again, welcome to YWS! PM me if you have any questions or want to take advantage of the coupon in my sig. (Which I completely forgot was there until I started becoming more active and people starting using it =P)

^_^ Keek
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:16 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey Aqua Marine! Nice to meet you :D I'm Kat. Welcome aboard YWS!

I'm glad Sleeping Valor has briefed you some rules, but I'm obligate to fill some spots ;)
Adding to those, there are two more really important rules. As Valor has said, check the Rules.

- Rate your work. rated posts will appear on the home page, except the ones rated R.
:arrow: When should I rate R, Kat? ;)
Well, you should rate a post R when it contains rough language and/or adult scenes. This is a family site, after all, and we want to keep our youngers out from what they shouldn't read.

- With no chat speak, it is also requested to keep capitalizing to a minimal. So, you won't be needing your Caps lock.

That's about it!
Now, if you have taken a look around, you might have noticed that some of us have colored names.
Like mine, it's blue. that means that I'm a Greeter. there are many staff positions (the people with colored names are the YWS staff), as in:
Instructors! They carry the purple color.
Moderators! The Junior Mods. carry the light green and the Mods carry the dark green.
Administrators! They carry the awesome red.
And the Distinguished Members! The wonderful orange ;)

If you want to learn more about each position, check here, under Staff positions on the Miscellaneous.

I've been bragging about us all along, haven't I? Let's hear more about you!
What's your favorite(s) author(s)? What do you prefer writing: prose or poetry? And within what genre?

See you around!
*Kat*

P.S: If you need anything, just PM me ;)
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Carlito says...

Hey AquaMarine, welcome to YWS! :D

When I joined I had only pretty much written classroom-type things and some really bad attempts at 'novels' :) But everyone here is really encouraging and kind, you'll be finishing your first novel in no time :D

Are you ready for some tough questions?
What's your favorite kind of berry? What's your favorite baked good? If you could see any band/singer in concert and then meet them afterword, who would you see? If you could meet any author and ask them anything you wanted for an hour, who would you meet? If you were a marine biologist, what animal would you study and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

I think you'll find lots of company for people who started out doing classroom writing. One of the Greeters on here, fragile_heart(!), actually runs a writing club at her school (At least, she did before graduation.)

Poetry is a hobby of mine too. Not sure how good I am, though. However, if you want me to take a look at any poem you've posted, just send me a PM or check out my "Will review for food thread." (Just to let you know, there are a lot of will review for food threads in that forum. Look under "The Lounge" to find it. There, people say they critique on request. Poke around a few threads, post on the ones you want reviews from, and wait. Simple as that. ;))

I hope you enjoy your stay here at YWS. ^_^ We're here to help you get better at writing. If you don't want your stuff torn to shreds, just put "please be nice" before or after a work you've posted. Most of us will comply (The same goes if you do want a shred review. We will also comply to that.)

If you need anything, PM me! Instructors (those pretty purple names) are here to help both your writing and reviewing. ^_^

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight