z

Young Writers Society

Just Another Newbie

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 am
xolaurenanelia says...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and was directed here to introduce myself. My name is Lauren, and I throughly enjoy writing and music but not art so much. I'm hoping this site helps me expand my current interests. I also hope someone can help me figure out what my art issue is! Anyway, I'm currently writing two different stories that I hope I'm able to someday post for someone to review. At the moment, though, I'm too embarassed to show anyone my works. Hopefully you guys can help me get over that soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to welcome me!

-Lauren.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:02 am
MeadowLark says...

Heya there! Welcome to YWS!

There are a few rules we have here, but don't panic! They're nothing to worry about ;)

1) Before posting any of your work, you must review at least two works. We like to keep a 2:1 ratio on here so everyone's stuff gets a fair chance at being reviewed ;)

2) No chatspeak please. 'Tis quite annoying to see people writing in CAPS or like this: plz, u...okay I don't know any of the other ones. However, lol, MC (main character) are acceptable.

See? Nothing to worry about.

Don't be scared to post your work! I used to be afraid of letting people read my stories, but my brother, sister and YWS helped me get over that ;) The helpful feedback you get from others---do not take any critism to heart ---will help you improve your writing not bring you down. That's why we're here :P

So, what do you usually write? What's your favourite genre? Author?

See ya around!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hi there, and welcome to YWS!

Well, Meadow has already covered rules, so I'll go over some other things.

First off.

Notice the different colored names? Well, those people are called Mentors. They've been chosen to do specific tasks around the site to help make it better! For example; us blues are Greeters, purples are Instructors, reds are Administrators, oranges are Distinguished Members, and dark/light greens are Junior/Moderators!

So, what exactly do these people do? Well, Greeters greet (duh :wink:), Instructors help with reviews and writing tips, Administrators update the site and add new features, Distinguished Members are retired YWSers, and Mods help keep the forums clean and clear and under control.

Second.

Have you checked out the Knowledge Base? It's this cool little library that can tell you anything about YWS or writing!

Or what about the Will Review for Food thread? Basically, that's a forum where you can request a review from any of the members who have a post open. You can check mine out in my signature where it says Reviews for Change.

So anyways, I can't wait to see some of your work, and I hoope to see you around the site!

Ta ta!

- Frag

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:31 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Lauren, welcome to YWS! :D

Don't worry, I've posted a lot of things that I thought sucked and no one will kill you :) Everyone is very nice a supportive here and will give you good criticism to help you improve. If you want good critics, but don't want them to be super harsh or something, just say so before you post your story.
You mentioned you like music too, maybe you can try your hand at some lyrics. :)

Now to the really hard questions...
What's your favorite genre to read/write? What kind of music do you listen to? What's your favorite baked good? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:22 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey.

Welcome to YWS. If you ever need anything, feel free to pm me.

see ya around

NM
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson