anybody who has self-published?

follow my journey to becoming self-published author in myspace - dianne mandal

all the best,
dianne

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 am
WaterVyper says...

Hello Dianne and welcome to YWS! You're self-published? Great! How does it feel to have an actual bound book that you wrote? I'd rather go for an agent and a publisher than self-publishing, but that's also an option. Well... welcome!

Now, time to get acquainted with the rules. There are a few that we have here on YWS, and they must be obeyed at all times. They're simple, and some of them are pretty much instinctual to some, so it won't be difficult to follow them. Here are the rules, and these are some of the more famous ones:

1. Keep the 2:1 review ratio. That means for every work you post, you must review at least two of them before. That makes sure that everyone gets a review, and it helps you become a better writer in the process. People will be more willing to review your works if you review someone else's.

2. Use proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization. It makes your posts so much easier to understand, and it will prevent mishaps from occuring.

3. Rate your works properly. That means if it would need a G rating, then you give it a G rating. A PG-13, and an R are the other ratings. If your work contains the f-word and/or explicit scenes, then you must rate it R. If you rate your works, they'll show up on the front page for everyone to see.

So, that's the rules. Now, why don't you tell us more about yourself. What are your hobbies? What do you like to write? What about read? Is the person in he avatar you? If so, you look really great!

Well, it's nice to meet you, Dianne. If you need anything, then you can PM me for whatever you need. I hope to see you around sometime. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun May 24, 2009 11:27 pm
XYZinnia says...

Hello! I’m Y! :)

Wow, self published? Cool. It must be great to see your book in “the flesh”. Do you read it often? What does it look like? What’s it about? What’s it called? Do you have a picture of it?

Ok, colors. See how Vyper’s name is blue? That’s because she’s a greeter. A greeter greets newbies. Others are:

Instructors are purple. They like to critique, or review, your work. Improving it so it can be even better!

Moderators are dark green. They keep an eye on YWS, and help keep it wonderful!

Junior Moderators are green. Their like Moderators helpers. A Junior moderator focuses on one area of the site.

Admins are red. They are like the foundation of YWS. They take care of this site and make sure it’s running smoothly.

Distinguished members are orange. They are people who have quit the “Mod squad”.

Anyway, glad you found this site! It’s wonderful here! Everyone is really nice. :)

So what type of books to you like? Do you have a favorite? What about music? Paintings? Do you have any pets? What are you working on right now?

Anyway, if you have any questions, I’m right here!

Cheers!
-Y

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sun May 24, 2009 11:34 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Self published eh. I myself have written a novel or two but never really go for publishing it yet... at least till I have mutilated it so bad that every possibly mistake I can find is destroyed :D. Bet you cant guess the title ;) (AKA my name XD).

It's a pleasure to meet you though. I am The.Dreamwalker but most people just call me dreamwalker or TDW or DW. I myself prefer dreamwalker but you can call me whatever you like. All's fair ^_^

If you need a review or just a friend to talk to... or basically have any questions about the site feel free to message me and I'll answer back in a jiffy.

From Dreams to Reality
~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon May 25, 2009 3:14 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Hi Dianne ^^ Welcome to YWS ;P I'm another one of those greeters who flock to the newbs ^^

Self-publishing on myspace? 0.o That's possible?! Well I'm sure that there are more than enough people around here who wouldn't mind being known on the world wide web.

Since everyone has just about covered all the rules and ratios and no chat speak lingo sayings, I'll just fill you in on the people on YWS and so on.

(Tips for new YWS users... if you choose to submit work ;P)

1. Don't take all reviews to heart! Their just the opinions of others, and they only say what they say so you can improve. If you respect their judgement you'll be able to improve by far as a writer, and even as a person. You might even learn a thing or two about philosophy xD Remember that you don't have to take their reviews or critiques unless you also believe it's for the best. Don't change you're writing into anything that's not you.

2. Guestbook Etiquette. When someone signs your guestbook, sign theirs back! It's only polite and friendly, plus it allows you to circulate around the site and meet new people.

3. Feel free to just jump in! Don't be afraid to get yourself out there, write some poetry, join some groups. After getting yourself out there you'll be known in no-time!!!

Sorry I only have three pointers at the moment =_= I'm a little rusty since I haven't been posting lately xD

Good Luck and Have fun ^^
~Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind