z

Young Writers Society

Topsy-Turvy Whirly of a Girl says Hi!

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun May 17, 2009 5:04 pm
octocoffee says...

Hey all!

I'm octocoffee, pleased to meet you! You can call me octocoffee, octo, Octavian-later-Augustus-Caesar-the-greatest-emperor-of-Rome... I'm really a girl though, so I suppose that last one doesn't work too well. I'm fifteen years old, and currently procrastinating in studying for my finals.

I've been writing in a journal since the third grade, but haven't shown a real interest in writing and publishing my fiction work since this year. My English teacher is encouraging me to apply for the summer programs at Kenyon, Bread Loaf, and a few other places next year so I've decided to begin composing my portfolio for application. I'm seeking criticism on my writing in general, and hopefully recieve help on selecting my best pieces for submission.

I've been a bit terrified of joining this place though; as much as I want the criticism, I'm afraid of it at the same time. Typical passive-aggressive teenager. I'm also a bit hesitant of reviewing other work, but I suppose it won't kill me to put my opinion out there for once. But here I am, ready to take the plunge!

Thanks for reading this long introduction. I tend to get rather wordy when it comes to talking about myself :oops:

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun May 17, 2009 7:13 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Heyy Coffee! (Does that work as a nickname?! :P) Welcome to YWS!
Don't be afraid of criticism. It may seem a bit harsh at first, but remember, we're all just here to help you improve your writing. By the same token, don't be afraid to critique someone's work. You're allowed to be harsh; sometimes all a piece needs is someone telling the author that they just don't get it. But, don't be mean! Tell them why you don't get it and how they can improve. ^_^ We help each other out on this site.
Anywayz, now for some of the basic rules of the site.
~2:1 Ratio - For every piece you post, make sure you've done at least two reviews. This helps make sure that everyone gets a review.
~Proper grammar - We're all writers here, so don't talk like we aren't. Limit chatspeak; teh occasional 'lol' or 'brb' is fine. But, don't overuse it. Similarly, don't talk in ALL CAPS. It gives some of our members a headache.
~Rate your works - If any of your pieces include the f-word or explicit scenes, please rate it R. If not, it will show up on the front page, increasing your chances of getting critiques. If it isn't something deserving an R rating, this isn't necessary.
I'll let someone else cover the rest, 'kay?
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, need a review, or just wanna talk.
fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

63 Reviews

Sun May 17, 2009 7:45 pm
octocoffee says...

Thanks for the welcome! Coffee is definitely an alright nickname. Speaking of which, some cafe au lait sounds great right now.

I've just decided to remove all inhibitions and just jump in, after looking at some reviews. Everyone seems so mature here! So I suppose I feel better now, because everyone is so kind about their reviews, and it's so obvious that they want to be helpful, not just rip people apart.

Thanks for the invitation to talk, I'll definitely take that up sometime.

I did have a question though: in terms of rating, would heavy themes like hints of sexual situations and suicide garner an R or a PG-13? I'm just curious, so I know how to rate my work later on.

107 Reviews

Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Hmm...Rating's kind of an opinion thing. My idea would be that if it's just hints of suicide/sexual situations it should be PG-13. But, if you blatantly say/show it, then I'd rate it R. And, if you rate it wrongly, it isn't a big deal. Some mod or reviewer will just warn you to change the rating. Nobody really cares if you make a couple of mistakes...Accidents happen. :D
It's just when you keep repeating the same mistakes that people get annoyed.
fluteluvr77<3
Love is a paradox.

Got YWS?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 pm
mtempleton says...

Hey there coffee! Happy sunday night>

Welcome to YWS. Firstly, don't be scared. We're all very nice, if slightly crazy. The only things likely to annoy us are text speak and Twilight spoofs. We've had enough! :evil:
That said, if you ever need a thorough, perhaps harsh, crit, PM me.

good luck with your summer programmes, and your finals (i'm in the same boat just now).

And as for that last question, I'm guessing you would rate that comntent PG 13.

m :wink:
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X

107 Reviews

Sun May 17, 2009 8:51 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

^____^ I disagree with M. There's never a thing as too many Twilight spoofs...:P
Love is a paradox.

Got YWS?

63 Reviews

Sun May 17, 2009 9:04 pm
octocoffee says...

Alright, thanks for the recommendation! I had a feeling it wasn't R, it's just borderline unsettling.

Thanks M, as well! Being welcomed to forums always feels nice.

As for the Twilight spoofs... :twisted: A friend of mine is writing one. I just decided to begin a fantasy-romance in response to it, but not necessarily spoof it. Just prove that it isn't the "BEST BOOK EVAHHHHRRR", according to my sister's ten-year-old friends.
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman