Another newibie!

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm
AmyJade says...

hello!
i've just joined the site! and can't wait to get started! :D
my name's Amy and i'm 13!
i love reading, actually thats one of the main thing i do in my spare time!
i havn't done a great deal of writeing in the past, so i thought i'd give it a go!
it seems a great place to start and the site looks really helpful and suppostive!

Bye.x

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hello Amy! :D Yay you sound as enthusiastic as I usually do! ^^ I hope you love it here, I certainly do :P There are a few rules on this site I thought I'd mention, here are the three main ones-

:arrow: There is a ratio of reviews to posts here of 2:1, so basically for every piece of work you post you should have reviewed two of other peoples pieces. That way it ensures everyone gets a review :)

:arrow: No chat speak! As this is a writing site, it's better to try and write as correctly as possible although POV (point of view) and MC (Main character) are kind of allowed, along with the occasional lol ;)

:arrow: It's important to rate your work, so if there are any graphic scenes or use of the f word then please rate your piece R ^^

There is so much to do on here, it's a great site for not only improving your writing but getting to know other people and killing boredom too! Have you been in the chat room? You can get to it from the homepage and it's a brilliant way of finding out a bit more about some of the other members on here :)

So what do you like to write? Have you got one long piece going or do you prefer short stories? What book do you like to read? If you need anything or just want to talk feel free to PM me! :D
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu May 07, 2009 7:10 pm
MeadowLark says...

Heya there Amy! Welcome to YWS! So glad you could join our fun filled family ;)

Pippie went over the basic rules so I'm going to explain another interesting thing to you. The colours. You've probably noticed that many members have different coloured names, so let me tell you about those:

Blue: The Greeters. They explain the rules and the ways of the site to newbies such as yourself.

Purple: The Instructors. They right some of the more in depth reviews and give helpful tips on writing.

Light & Dark Green: The Junior Mods are the light and the Mods are the dark. They modator the forums, making sure everything is where it should be. They'll answer your questions too ^_^

Orange: Distinguished Members. They're what you call the retired Mods.

Red: Site Admins. There is only three of them: Nate--the site owner--Firestarter (aka Jack) and Meshugenah. They make sure the site is running smoothly.

Black: The other members who are just as awesome--perhaps even more ;)

Well, what do you write? What's your favourite genre? Any random things you'd like to us about yourself?

If you have any questions PM me.

Happy Writing!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 am
Linx says...

Hi Amy! Welcome to YWS, the best website on the internet to learn how to write gooder. :wink:

:arrow: Here's a quick tip. If you ever need any help on something, feel free to check out the Knowledge Base. There are a lot of helpful articles there.

:arrow: We have a point system here on YWS, in case you haven't already found out. Every single member starts out with 300 points. You need to have, at the most, 150 points to post one of your own stories or poems. So that means you can post two things of your own.

But what if you want to post more?

Well, whenever you post a review for someone else's story or poem, you get points! The most you can get is 50 points, so the more you review, the more points you can get!

You can also compete with other members for the most points. On the front page, you can see the top five members with the most points. And every once in a while, Nate will reset all the points back to 300, so we can start all over again! :D

:D I love the energy you have! It always exciting to see a new member with as much excitement as you. What are your favorite authors? Can you even pick out a favorite book?

If you ever need any help around the site, feel free to PM me. And it doesn't even have to be about the site! I'm almost always available, so I should respond. :wink:

I hope to see you around!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri May 08, 2009 5:41 pm
Blink says...

Helloooo Amy! I'm Blink, but everyone calls me Blink. Weird, I know. =]

All the rules and such seem to have been covered, and I don't want to drown you in them. Yet. So. My name's Mark, and, well, welcome to YWS! I hope you find it as helpful as I did/do/will for a long time. :D Do you have a particular genre that you like to write? I've given myself a try in poetry, but it's not really for me. I'm into these deep-weird-strange-political-philosophical ramblings, which I would recommend you avoid if you see my name lurking around in the Literary forums. And you might do. Because I'm an instructor. And as such, I'd be happy to review anything you post (although it's really helpful if you remember the whole ratio thing, because then you can guilt people into reviewing your stuff!). Just send me a quick PM or in my guestbook (on my profile page) or whatever. Heh. Something that my lazy eyes are likely to see.

I noticed that you're from England too! Well, that makes it even more awesome, of course. =P

So... yeah! Do you have a favourite author?

See you around! Let me know if I can help.

Best
Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat May 09, 2009 9:14 pm
mimimac says...

Hallo!
Welcome to the big, odd, happy and downright crazy family we call YWS!

I think all the rules have been explained... well, here's a link to our awesome chat room:
http://host7110.123flashchat.com/youngwriterssociety/
There are usually pretty crazy and random discussions going on in there, and everyone always has fun. :) However, we do have one or two rules you should be aware of before you get chatting!
THOU SHALT NOT TALK IN ALL CAPS.
Thou shalt not tlk lyk dis (chat speak)
Thou shalt not do this: heeellloooo/oookkkkk/suuureee ect. :P
Thou shalt not flame any other members (Be mean or make someone look bad on purpose.)
Thou shall obey the chat mods at ALL times. (These are the people whose names are in green and at the top of the who's online list. They basically tell you if you're breaking a rule and have the power to kick you out of chat if you don't listen to their warnings! So beware. ;))

There are lots of usergroups to join here! Just click on 'groups' at the top of the page and join one that takes your fancy! I would suggest checking out the 'completely evil plan' group. It's basically a prank cooked up by a fellow yws member that includes a lot of writing. ;)

PM me with any questions or if you need any reviews!
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Hi AmyJade!

Welcome to YWS! Since everyone's already told you just about everything, I'm going to tell you about the completly evil plan. I'm sure you've seen how just about everyone on here is like a big family (or maybe you haven't but you will soon). We're writing/collecting a bunch of stories/poems for one of the old mods, putting it into a book, and Snoink is going to send it to her. Why? She was sent an anorexia center almost a year ago and she's a really awesome person.

If you want to help out, even though you're new and don't know her (I've only talked to her once or twice myself), you're more than welcome to, as long as (taken from Snoink's thread in the group) : "The stories must be clean. Nothing too depressing or anything like that." You'll be able to write her a note along with your piece too. :)

I hope you'll consider writing something (or submitting something you've previously written) and if you want/need the private message that will tell you exactly who it is that the stories and poems are being sent to, feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you.

Feel free to PM me for anything and once again, welcome to YWS! :D

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler