z

Young Writers Society

Yes, I get to announce that I'm new!

Reviews: 2
Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 am
carino says...

Hey guys.

I'm carino. It's possible (but only just) that you've seen me elsewhere--I'm on NaNoWriMo and Screnzy under this name, as well as MR UK, MX, and FG.

For those of you who haven't, a quick introduction.
I'm 16, girl, bisexual. That (or at least, my age) places me in high school, and I'm quite nerdy/geekish--I love band, all sorts of technology, good literature, etc., etc.

That's, uh, all I can think of to say. If you want to know something else, ask me and I'll probably answer (but no, you may not know my address, thanks).

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu May 07, 2009 1:56 am
Conrad Rice says...

Hi carino! That's such an awesome name, by the way. I'm Conrad Rice, one of the Instructors here at YWS. We're the blokes with the purple names. If you ever have a problem with your writing, don't hesitate to get ahold of one of us. We're always happy to help.

So, you describe yourself as somewhat nerdy? Well, you'll be happy to know that quite a bit of the YWS population describes themselves as extremely nerdy. You should have no trouble fitting into our ranks. :)

Again, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or any of the other Instructors. We hope you'll decide to make YWS a big part of your internet time. Good luck out there. :)
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 am
Linx says...

Hi there, carino! I think it's an awesome username too, darling. :wink:

A quick run through the rules.

:arrow: 2:1 rule ~ Basically, you need to do two reviews before you post any of your stories or poems.

:arrow: No chatspeak ~ This is a writing website. We all want to use proper grammar all the time, which means no chatspeak. You can use simple things, like brb, POV, MC, and an occasional lol. But other than that, all of it is proper!

:arrow: Rate your stuff! ~ If you rate your poems and stories, they will appear on the front page? Wouldn't that be cool to see your stuff on the front page? Although, if it's rated R (explicit scenes, extreme language), it won't appear on the front page for obvious reasons.

That's enough about all the rules. More about you! You are in band? I'm in band too! I play the clairnet though. What do you play?

Also, you say you like good literature (who doesn't? :D ) Who are some of your favorite authors? We are all interested to hear. :D

I'm an instructor as well, so if you need any help on something, feel free to PM me at any time. I am almost always available.

Welcome to YWS! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 am
carino says...

Favorite authors...oh, I like a lot.

Margaret Atwood is currently on the top of my list. She's absolutely amazing.
Orson Scott Card. Also great stuff.
George Orwell. Scott Westerfield has some pretty good stuff...a few of his books aren't quite as much to my taste, but I love his Uglies series.
Gregory Maguire, Markus Zusak, J.K. Rowling (of course), JRR Tolkien...
Dostoyevsky. William Golding. Shakespeare. T.S. Eliot. The list goes on and on....

As you can tell, I read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy.

Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 am
carino says...

carino wrote:Favorite authors...oh, I like a lot.

Margaret Atwood is currently on the top of my list. She's absolutely amazing.
Orson Scott Card. Also great stuff.
George Orwell. Scott Westerfield has some pretty good stuff...a few of his books aren't quite as much to my taste, but I love his Uglies series.
Gregory Maguire, Markus Zusak, J.K. Rowling (of course), Eoin Colfer's not bad, Douglas Adams, JRR Tolkien...
Dostoyevsky. William Golding. Shakespeare. T.S. Eliot. The list goes on and on....

As you can tell, I read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 am
imapoemperson says...

Hiya there, I'm Poem! It is a good thing that you chase a short user name, because mine is super long to write whenever I introduce myself.
What is your favorite type of food?
"We played Pin the Tail on the Reason My Life Feels So Insufficient, and nobody won." -Megan Moriarty

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu May 07, 2009 4:09 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hi there, Carino! I'm April. Nice to meetcha! :D

OK, so you might be wondering why you are seeing in different colors... don't worry, it's not you ;) . Here is the explanation;

:arrow: Black; regular members, like us! (...So far... ;) )

:arrow: Blue; Greeters. They hang around the Welcome forum waiting for newbies to arrive, much like yourself.

:arrow: purple; Instructors. They give good reviews, and review frequently. This doesn't mean that these are the only people you should go to for reviews! (Come to me too :D )

:arrow: Light green; Junior Moderators. They are moderators in training... they can help moderate certain forums around YWS. You can go to them if something is wrong in their forum.

:arrow: Green; Moderators. They can also moderate, but in a greater amount. They are the people you should go to if something is amiss in any forum.

:arrow: red; administrators. There are only three so far; Meshugenah, Firestarter, and Nate. Nate is the founder of YWS. You can go to them if something on the site isn't right.

:arrow: Orange; distinguished members. There is only one way to become a distinguished member: becoming a moderator and leaving the mod squad honorably. All distinguished members are those who are no longer active on YWS, but nevertheless have left their mark on the site.

Okey dokester, I think that covers that! I hope to see you around YWS, here, Carino :P

~April
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu May 07, 2009 7:35 am
Loose says...

I'm 16, girl, bisexual

=D

Welcome to YWS, fellow queer!

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hiya, Carino! I'm Music. Glad that you've joined YWS!

Why don't you pop on over to our Usergroups? They're similar to clubs, and we have lots of them. There, you'll meet lots of new people who share the same interest as you!

One really great group that you should consider joining is The Completely Evil Plan. It involves a whole lot of scheming and fun writing!

You like Scott Westerfield and Shakespeare? *high fives* I've only read Westerfield's Uglies series.

Do you like writing Sci-Fi/Fantasy too?

Hope to see you around the forums!

Questions? PM me.

Love,
Music
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Thu May 07, 2009 5:56 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hello Carino! :D How are you finding YWS so far? I love it here ^^

Have you been in the chat room? You can access it from the homepage if you wanted to get to know some of the members here a bit better :) There is so much to do here as I'm sure you can see from just browsing around! If you need any help to improve your writing The Knowledge base under resources has some great tips and advice on specific areas, you can always ask people in writing tips too ;) We're all a friendly lot so feel free to ask any questions you might have!

We can also get a bit competitive at times :P On the homepage there is the leader board for people with the highest points, it gets reset every two weeks back to 300 to give everyone else a chance. You can gain points in a number of ways, welcoming people, reviewing work, offering help in writing tips or homework help etc... It will cost you 100 to post a new piece though!

There are also three leader boards for reviewing, one for the last 24 hours, one for the last week and the another for the entire month. You can get to it under home at the top of the page to see how you are doing :)

You can always enter into any contests too, there are always quite a few going on so why not take a look and see if anything appeals to you? You win prizes too (usually in the form of points in reviews but it can vary) :P you can get to it from Community.

If you need anything PM me! Have you got a particular story you are working on or just pieces every now and then? If you need a review I'd be happy to :)
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu May 07, 2009 10:08 pm
jok101 says...

So many people have come on here already theirs not much to say but I thought I'd say Hi anyway

HI

BYE

~Jok

Sat May 09, 2009 2:45 am
carino says...

@ Poem, that's a tough one. Mexican food is amazing. As is chocolate.

@ Loose, thanks. : )

@music, I'd probably love to write Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but I have issues with it. I try. And as for the group, it sounds a bit like the Evil League of Evil, so I'm in. xD

@everyone else I tweet too much, can you tell? And...thanks.

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6