z

Young Writers Society

And so it begins...

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 am
molmolk says...

Hi all! Where to start... I'm 16 and an aspiring writer as I guess everyone else is. I live in Argentina (currently in the USA visiting until September) i'm going to try to finish high school in only three years (fingers crossed!!!!) and then do an intership in NYC. so yeah... that's the plan and i have NO IDEA what else to write here... I write book reviews for teen voices magazine... ok... i love meeting new people so don't be shy!

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed May 06, 2009 2:30 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hiya! Nice to meet you! I'm April. It's wonderful getting new members to YWS!

I'm pretty social too... though I always hope it doesn't annoy the newcomers :) .

Anyway! Before I say much more, I should lay down the ground rules;

:arrow: No chatspeak. To me, it looks like you don't use it that much anyway ^^ It gets annoying after a while.

:arrow: Rate your works! If it has strong language or adult situations, then rate it accordingly! Plus, if you rate it, it will show up on the front page! You might even get more reviews that way!

:arrow: Finally, we have a 2:1 ratio here. For every piece you enter, you have to review two other pieces. That way, everyone gets reviewed!

Don't worry if you forget a rule. You are new, and have to adapt. Don't fret about anything at all, if you need anything YWS is here to help! You can PM me if you need anything, too; an answered question, a review, or just someone to talk to :) .

So! Why don't you tell us what your favorite genre to write would be? Favorite to read? Do you have any books planned?

~April
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 am
MeadowLark says...

Heya there Molmolk! Welcome to YWS!

April has given you the main rules so I'm going to explain something else of interest to you. You're probably curious to know why there are people on here whose names are different colours. Well let me tell you about those colours:

Blue: The Greeters! Their job is to help newbies--such as yourself--to understand the site more and explain the rules to you.

Purple: The Instructors! Their job is to give others writing tips, do the *best* reviews and answer any questions you have in association to writing.

Light & Dark Green: The Junior Mods are light and the Mods are the dark. They look after the forums, making sure everything is how it should be and they will answer your questions too.

Orange: Distinguished members who quit their moderating job.

Red: The site administrators. They make sure the site is running smoothly. Nate--the site owner--Firestarter (aka Jack) and Meshugenah--the junior admins.

So, now that that's all done with lets get to the interesting stuff!

What do you write? What's your favourite genre? Whose your favourite genre?

If you have any questions or even need a review give me PM ;)

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Wed May 06, 2009 5:47 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hi molmolk! :D how are you finding YWS so far? I'm 16 too, that's so cool that you write reviews for a magazine! This is a great place to improve your writing and in general have a fun time so I hope you come to love it :)

The main rules have already been covered but I thought I'd point out to you the chat room that you can get to from the homepage, it's a brilliant way of getting to know some of the other members ;) There's also the About the Authors section under Community where you can post more about yourself or find out about some of the other people here on YWS

There is so much else to do here, homework help, finding writing tips, word games or general randomness ^^ if you find you want to improve in a particular area in your writing then under Resources there is The Knowledge base which is great for offering help, of course you can always just ask any of us too :)

Most of YWS you can get to know simply by taking a look around, it's helped me so much in my writing and I'm sure it will you as well. Is there a particular piece you are working on or do you just enjoy writing in general? Is there anything in particular that inspired you to write? If you ever feel like talking or have any questions feel free to PM me!
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello Molmok! I'm Music. Great to see that you've joined YWS!

So, you love meeting new people? Why don't you head on over to our Usergroups and join a few? They're similar to clubs, and you'll meet new people who share your interests. :D

One amazing group that you should join is The Completely Evil Plan. It's really fun and involves a whole lot of scheming and writing, so join! :)

NYC sounds really fun! I've always wanted to go. What genre do you write, by the way? Poems? Romance? Action? Fantasy? XD

Hope to see you around YWS!

Questions? PM me.

Love,
Music
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed May 06, 2009 8:37 pm
Evi says...

Shy? YWSers? :lol: *dies laughing* As if that could ever exist. We're so bubbly and overenthusiastic, eventually you're going to think we're insane and you'll want to get as far away as possible from us crazies.

Or, the other alternative being you become one of us! *lures to the Dark Side*

So, Molmok, I'm Evi! Nice to meet you, love. See my shiny purple name? Yup, that means I'm an Instructor. Therefore, you are thoroughly encouraged to bombard me (and the other purps) for reviews whenever you need anything.

So, then, why are the Instructors here in the welcome thread, Greeting you, instead of out there reviewing!? And why are the Greeters (blues) out in the literary forums reviewing, when their job is to be in here, welcoming you?!? Why, the answer is simple. :wink: We've switched jobs for one week; this one week happened to be the week you joined! Lovely, eh? Things should go back to normal soon, though, so no worries.

If you love to meet new people, be sure to check out our Chatroom. It's an awesome way to week new people from all around the world and all different ages, so drop in and introduce yourself!

Make sure to follow The Rules! They keep everything running smoothly, as long as they're followed.

^^ Nice meeting you, and hope to see you around!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri May 08, 2009 9:15 pm
Linx says...

Hi there, and welcome to YWS! This is the best place on the internet for young writers. And trust me. We aren't shy, darling. :wink:

This is where you can see the Knowledge Base. There are a lot of helpful articles about writing and about the site, so don't be afraid to check it out. You can also PM us purples if you need any help as well.

So you grew up in Argentina? That is so amazing! We have members from all over the world, but I don't think we've ever had anyone from Argentina. Do you mind telling us some stuff about Argentina? I am really interested. :D

I'm an instructor as well, so if you ever need any help on a story or poem, feel free to PM me! I'm almost always available!

I hope to see you around! :D

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat May 09, 2009 5:41 pm
Blink says...

Well, hello, molmolk! The rules seem to have been beaten into your skull already, so I think I shall avoid it.

I'm Blink, or Blinky, or Mark, or whatever floats your boat. =] Nice to meet you! We're all quite helpful round here so don't worry if you have any problems. Just send anyone a PM and I'm sure we can sort you out. :wink:

Since I'm an instructor, let me know if you post something. It's my job to review stuff, so, yeah, let me know. :) You've certainly come to the write place if you want to improve your writing! Do you have a favourite author? I love George Orwell, Cormac McCarthy and Tolkien, so you'll find me rambling about them quite a lot. Heh. So I like writing things to with society. Yeah.

And don't forget about your blog! They're a great way to get to know people better, so go comment and introduce yourself to other members if you don't want one yourself.

Nice to meet you! Welcome to YWS, and have a fun time being addicted to it. :)

Best
Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal