z

Young Writers Society

Reviews: 1
Sat May 02, 2009 4:28 pm
Onthemound21 says...

Hi! I'm a new member on here. I might need some help around.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi on the mound! I'm Kat, nice to meet you.
Welcome to YWS! You'll soon be addicted.

YWS will help you improve your writing, as it has helped me too, but so that you can proceed right here, you should follow three simple rules.

- Keep the 2:1 ratio. That means that for every work of yours you post, you should do two reviews. A reviews has to be 250 characters long to count.
- Rate your work. Rate it as R, if it contains adult themes or rough language. That way we keep those away from our younger crowd. Rated works will appear on the Home page, except for the one rated R. This is a family web site.
- No chat speak (although MC, POV, and those are ok to use, just don't overuse them) and turn off you Caps lock, and try to keep capitalizing to a minimal.

I still advise you to check out the rules (click on the button at the top of the page that says 'Help and Support' and select 'Rules and Guides'.
Also, explore the site! Go to the Resources and read cool articles, check out the community forums and try out the Storybooks!
Have fun :D

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat May 02, 2009 4:45 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Hey, mound. Tiger here. (:

I'm sure you've noticed our colorful rainbow here on YWS. Here's what it means.

Black - Regulars like you and me (:
Blue - Greeters. Like write. Usually hang out in the Welcome forum to greet the newbies. (:
Purple - Instructors - They give the very best reviews.
Green and light green - Moderators and junior moderators.
Red - Moderators. Keep the site up and running smoothly.
Orange - Retired members.

That's pretty much it. Why don't you tell us more about yourself. What genre do you write in? What kind of music to you like? What are some others things you like to do besides write? (;

If you have any questions about the site, or you just want to chat PM (private message)me. (:
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat May 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Meshugenah says...

Onthemound21 wrote:Hi! I'm a new member on here. I might need some help around.

I just might know my way around! Hi! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

(also, your avvie is baseball, thus you must be cool!)

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 02, 2009 5:54 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Some little inside tricks for getting better at writing:

Bug the Instructors. We don't bite (unless we're reviewing, and even then) and we're here to help! Not only do we give out good reviews, but we can help you write those critiques you have to do. Look for us in your favourite genres and bug them. You'll get some great help, and we really don't mind being bugged.

Check out Will Review for Food to see a bunch of people who critique on request. Look at the threads to see who critiques your genre, and post on those threads with a link to your work. It's important you read the first post on those threads to make sure the critic reviews your genre. Not everybody reviews everything.

The Knowledge Base, found by right-clicking the Resources button in the header and selecting the Knowledge Base, is a database full of writing tips, grammar help and YWS navigation tips. Poke around to see what's there. It's a great place for help. ^_^

So, tell us a bit more about yourself! Who are you're favourite authors? What are your favourite books?

If you need anything, send a PM my way!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun May 03, 2009 12:18 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hi, Mound! (By the way, do you have any preferred names?) I'm Music.

Nice to see you've joined YWS! It's a great place to improve your writing and have a good time doing it. :D

Another great thing about YWS is meeting the amazing people we have here. Here are a few ways to make some friends around here.

-Usergroups. Usergroups are little forums in YWS formed about a topic, such as band, teeenagers, or debate. Joining one that you're interested in is a guaranteed way to meet people who have things in common with you. Check out the link for the entire list of YWS's usergroups.

-Chat. We've just acquired a new, awesome chat room. You'll find it by scrolling down on the home page and looking to your left. There, you'll meet bunches of people. I've met some of my best friends on YWS through chat. :)

-Being active. You'll find someone who you think you'd like to be friends with by looking around on the forums, dear. Send a friend request their way; I'm sure they'd be happy to accept.

So, you like baseball? That's great. What's your favorite team? Any other hobbies?

Hope to see you around the forums! PM me with any questions, okay? xD

Love,
Music
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun May 03, 2009 12:47 am
Explosive_Pen says...

Hey there, Onthemound21! I'm Explosive_Pen, otherwise known as Eliza or El, or any variation thereof. Welcome to YWS!
We have strict 2:1 ratio. What that means is, for every work you post, you have to have at least two reviews done. This is to ensure that every member gets a review.
Writing in all caps and chatspeak are major no-nos. They tend to annoy people.
What do you most enjoy writing? Novels, short stories, poetry? What's your favorite genre? Favorite author?
I'm going to stop bugging you with questions now. :D Hope you enjoy your stay here on YWS.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

Reviews: 1
Sun May 03, 2009 2:06 am
Onthemound21 says...

Thank you for all your help! Check out my first try at poetry. It's my first try so don't expect it to be all that great.! :lol: Well, I might see you guys around!

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun May 03, 2009 2:25 am
Evi says...

Hey, how're you? ^^ I'm Evi, at your service. Obviously you're a fan of baseball? What are some of your favorite teams? I'm a Cardinal fan, honestly. :lol:

Yep, Mound, be sure to follow The Rules. Why is it capitalized, you ask? Because they are law. They are the YWS commandments. :wink:

Alright, so! I'm going to give you some info on the site. Our almighty creator is Nate (you might see him floating around in the Lounge, with his bright shiny redname). He created YWS to give young writers such as you and me the oppurtunity to get constructive criticism on our writing. How do you do this? Well, you post!

So, see that black bar at the top of your screen? That is the main header of YWS-- you can get anywhere by that. If you click the 'Writing' tab, and then pick a forum, you can submit different things you've written (whether it be poetry, short stories, novels, songs, or scripts-- we have it all!) and then get reviews on your piece done by other YWSers like yourself. :lol: It's a win-win situation.

Of course, we have the 2:1 ratio, which has already been explained. PM me if you need clarification with that, or anything else! :wink:

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun May 03, 2009 3:39 am
Linx says...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS! If we are talking about baseball, I could go on all day. Especially about the Braves.

But we are not talking about me! We are talking about you, and a little bit about YWS!

First off, we have the point system here on YWS. You need to have points to be able to post any of your stories or poems. It takes about 150 points to post a kinda long story. You automatically get 300 points.

But what if you want more?

Well, you can get points from reviewing other people's stories and poems! The most points you can get from reviewing is 50, so the more you review, the more points you can get!

Also, you can compete with other people for the most points. There is a list of the top five members with the most points on the front page that you can see.

:D So, some more about you! Apparently, you like baseball. Any team you like the best? If you need anyone to talk to about baseball, I think Meshugenah loves it the best.
And I can make you laugh, too.

:smt064 :elephant: :piratedthread:

See? There are a bunch of smilies like this to the side of the reply screen, so don't be afraid to use them!

:backtotopic:

But if you want to talk or need any help about anything, feel free to PM me at any time. I am almost always available and ready to help. :D

*Lin.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore