Grass says...

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, here on YWS we have lots of ways to improve your writing.

One way is by asking a purple-named member. Purple members are Instructors, and it's our job to give very in-depth reviews. We also help people with their reviews, so just bug us if you need help on anything in Literary. ^_^ It's best to bug purples who review a lot in your preferred genre, so you can get the best help possible.

Another way is to check out the Knowledge Base, found by right-clicking the Resources button in the header. The Knowledge Base is full of articles written by YWSers for your to improve grammar, prose (normal fiction), poetry and to help you around YWS! Feel free to look around for the help you want/need.

Finally, there is Will Review for Food, a subforum under the Lounge. It is a place where people post threads saying they review on request. Just be sure to read the first post on each thread before you ask people for reviews. Not every critic does everything.

ALso, there is an amazing prank going on and we need everybody's help! Check out this link to help out. ^_^

If you need anything, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Fri May 01, 2009 2:33 am
Adnamarine says...

HI! How's it going Grass? Interesting username choice. Any particular reason for it? :)

I'm Adna, or Nam, whichever ya like.

Rosey there gave you some good info, but I want to tell you about a couple rules quickly.
First of all, before you post any of your own stories and such, you'll need to do two reviews of other people's work. From there, we just want you to do at least two reviews for every piece of your own that you post. Not to strenuous, eh? =) Plus, the more you review for other people, the more they'll review your stuff. It's a great little system.

Chatspeak is also frowned on, and you should try to use good grammer and such, considering this is a writer's site, yes? =)

So, what kinds of things do you like to write? I write pretty much mostly all poetry :P
But I will review Everything. Once you have something posted, I'd be happy to take a look, if you like. xD

Be sure to take a look at that prank Rosey linked you to also. It's really great. xD

If you need any help, let me know! I know this is a big place. Don't want you to be confused. =)

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

-Nam
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Grass! How you doing? Welcome to the big family of YWS! I'm Kat, nice to meet you.

So, what do you like to do? Except, of course, writing. Do you have any hobbies?
What would you choose, ice cream or cookies?

Now, I would like to give you some advises!
~ Don't be afraid to post your work, and don't take reviews too personally.
~ If you want to chat or hang out, check out the Lounge (click on the Community forums and scroll down) or see if the Chat is open (you can check it on the Home page or on your YWS).
~ Rate your work! rated works will appear on the front page, except the ones rated R. If your work has adult themes and/or rough language.
~ Ig you want reviews, check out the Will Review for Food thread or just click on the link on my signature, and request.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat May 02, 2009 5:12 pm
Meshugenah says...

Hi! *waves*

I would offer to help if you need it, but you have plenty of offers there, so if you wanna talk, drop me a line!

Also! Why "Grass"? I thought of Leaves of Grass, see. Anyhoo, welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy the site!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun May 03, 2009 12:57 am
Explosive_Pen says...

Hi Grass! Welcome to YWS! I'm Eliza, or El, or any variation you'd like.
We have a strict 2:1 ration here on YWS. For every work you post, you have to have at least two reviews done, to ensure that every member gets a review.
Please refrain from using chatspeak or writing in all caps. It's quite annoying to those of us who are of a more writerly breed; I'm sure you understand. :wink:
Now, then! What do you enjoy writing, poetry, fiction, or both? Who's your favorite author? Cake or pie?
If you need any help with writing, check out the Writing Tips forum (all forums are found in the Community section). If you need a review, go to the Will Review for foof subforum, which Rosey_Unicorn so graciously linked. Or, if you just need help navigating the site or would like to chat, PM me!
I look forward to reviewing your work. Have a lovely stay! :D
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun May 03, 2009 1:17 am
Evi says...

Hey, Grass! Nice to meet you; I'm Evi, at your service. ^^ I'm going to lay out the color system at YWS for you, okay? See how everyone's usernames above their avatars are different colors? Yes, that's what I'm talking about. :wink:

Red-- Admins. (Nate, Meshugenah (who already greeted you, I see?) and Firestarter (also known as Jack). The admins are the almighty rulers of YWS. They are here to keep the site running smoothly. If you ever have a really big problem, you can PM them about it.

Green-- Dark and light green members are the Moderators, who are also here to keep the site running smoothly. They're the ones who lock threads that need to be locked, edit posts that need to be edited, and do other such productive things. They are also available for PM-- they don't bite. :lol: Honest.

Orange-- The Oranges are retired Mods that no longer are very active around the site, but are still held in high esteem and respected.

Purple-- Those in purple (such as myself) are the Instructors. Once you post your writing, you can PM any of us to take a look, and you can count on a well-though-out critique being delivered. If you ever need help with your writing, you can always go to one of us.

Blue-- Last, but certainly not least,are the Greeters. Normally, they'd be the ones welcoming you here to the site, but since you joined during a crazy week where the Instructors and Greeters switched places, I'm here instead. :P Still, if you need a friend or some help around, you can always go to someone with a blue name and count on being welcomed.

So, go out and have some fun! You can PM me if you need anything, dear. ^^

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 am
Eliza:) says...

Hello Grass! You are going to love it here!

YWS is a pretty big site, and until you get used to it, YWS can be overwhelming. This is why there is a Buddy System. If you decide you need a mentor, just go to the link and PM (private message), IM (instant messenger) or email one of the current mentors.

I hope you enjoy the site!
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun May 03, 2009 2:46 am
Linx says...

Hi there, Grass! Welcome to [s]the family[/s] YWS! As the others have said before, we are sure that you will love it here!

One thing here on YWS that we have is the point system. Before you can post anything of your own, you need to have some points. Usually, it only takes about 150 points, but you still need them to post.
Also, when you review, you get even more points! That way, the more you review, the more points you get!

Great system, isn't it?

I'm always available to talk to if you need any help on the site. We are all ready to help, darling. :D

And don't you love the smilies? :D

Hope you enjoy it here!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 2:28 pm
mimimac says...

Hello! I'm Mia! :)

Welcome to YWS!
I really hope you enjoy yourself here as I have. This site has taught me so many things such as the importance of showing and not telling. It also helped me begin writing poetry and improve on my writing style. I hope you get the same experience from it and become an active member.
Basically, if you're here to improve your writing and make friends, you've come to the right place. We're a growing community and love to welcome newbies among us. Most of us are awesome and extremely nice and helpful. :D
Click on the 'groups' icon at the top of the page and find one to join. Through this you make new friends and get to participate in contests and discussions. :D
If you need any reviews, visit the 'will review for food thread' in the lounge under 'community' at the top of the page. Here you can ask people to review for you. I have a thread there and would be happy to review anything for you as long as it isn't super long or poetry. :P
PM me with any questions.
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu