z

Young Writers Society

A New Member Saying Hello

Reviews: 1
Fri May 01, 2009 12:24 am
LeanderHastings says...

Hello I'm a new member. Just thought I'd let that be known. :D
I thought Godzilla was a mess, the monster had no character and the humans didn't either. They forgot to make the movie that went along with all these wonderful effects. -George A. Romero

Reviews: 0
Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 am
Eos says...

Hello there! I'm Kelsey, or Eos (whichever you prefer). It's very nice to meet you. :)

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 am
Flux says...

Hey Leander Hastings! I'm La Reina! Welcome to YWS. Before I say anything more, I just want to make sure that the two main rules that each and every YWSer abides by with their full heart (pssh, we try). Anyways, the two main rules are:

1. Minimize the use of chat-speak. We're all trying to become great writers here at YWS, and I'm sure you'll never see an author using 'omg' when he or she is writing a very crucial part in a horror novel ... or something like that. The occasional 'lol' is okay and such ... but just minimize it.

Next rule is ...

2. The YWS 2:1 ratio! Ah yes, darlin', the YWS 2:1 ratio! You cannot escape that ratio unit at YWS (unfortunately). Our rule is for every two reviews of someone else's work, you gain one post of your own.

Get it? Got it? Good.

So Leander, why don't you tell us a bit about yourself? What is your favourite movie? Maybe your favourite novel, or author? What is your favourite writing genre? Do you have a favourite TV show?

_________

Well, my new buddy, that is all to be said about the rules! We hope you'll enjoy your time at YWS, and make yourself at home. [s]We don't bite[/s] We try not to. So sit back, relax, and stretch those fingers out because we're ready to see what you've got for writing skills. (Did that sound mean?)

Anyways, there's numerous groups to be found on YWS so maybe head on over to one and join, introduce yourself, and meet people!

And hey there, Eos! Why don't you back-track and make your own introduction thread? just a word of advice!

And if you ever need a hand, or something, we're all open to help you, so drop us a PM. And feel free to add me as a buddy!

Thankseh!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

A little rule Reina missed-

Please rate your works! Rated works, unless rated R, show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ;)

~ Instructors/purples are people you can go to for in-depth critiques and reviewing help. *Points to purple name* Yep! I'm one too. Feel free to bug me for reviews and/or critiquing help. I/we are always happy too! It'd be a good idea to see which critics post in your favourite genres, so you're guaranteed the best help. ^_^

~ The Knowledge Base, found by right-clicking Resources in the header and selecting the Knowledge Base option, is full of articles written by YWSers to help you navigate YWS, write better prose and poetry, along with polishing up your grammar! It's a great place to get help and well worth checking out. :D

~ Will Review for Food is a subforum found under the Lounge. In Will Review, people post threads saying they review on request. It's important to read the first posts of those threads, since that's where people say what they critique. Some people critique everything, while others only critique a few genres. See which critic you like the best and post there.

If you need anything, PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 01, 2009 6:57 am
Snoink says...

And it is known! :D But, are you really new anymore once you declare that you are new? It's slightly old news now, right?

Or let's not overthink this. XD

Anyway! I am curious. In a duel to the death, would you rather be the guy with the sword or the guy with the feather? Er... in your avatar, that is. *points*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri May 01, 2009 5:38 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Psst! Hihi! Welcome to YWS! I'm Flute and I'm just here to inform you about the Completely Evil Plan
^^ Basically it's this prank where we are going to send one of the older YWSers a collection of happy stories and poems. We would love to have your help, so please join? **pouts**
Oh, and you joined YWS at an extremely exciting time. It's Purps vs. Blues III...^^ Alright that probably doesn't mean much to you...so lemme explain.
As you've probably noticed, some YWSers don't have black usernames. Each color means something different.
Rosey Unicorn is purple at the moment. She would be an instructor and gives in-depth reviews.
I'm blue...that means I'm a greeter and my job is to greet newbies like you! :D However, I'm actually an instructor...I'm just blue at the moment because I wish to be.
Snoink is green; she's a moderator and keeps the site running smoothly.
Red usernames are administrators that just take care of the site in general.
Orange people are distinguished members; they are retired mods or admins...
^^ I think that's it. So, purps vs. blues is when the purps and the blues switch jobs. The blues give in-depth critiques and purps greet! :D
So, feel free to ask any blues for critiques too! That would include Rosey and me (although she's purple at the moment)...
Feel free to PM me if you need a review, have any questions or just wanna talk...
fluteluvr77<3
Last edited by fluteluvr77 on Sun May 10, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hello! :D Welcome to YWS, the coolest place to be 8)
Quite a lot has already been covered but I have a couple of things to add :P

YWS is brilliant for posting any work you want reviewed or reviewing others but it also has a load of other things to do as well! There really are some brilliant members on here, so if you ever want to meet some new people, check out the chat on the home page :) You can also get to know some more people through looking at the About the Authors pages, where you can post more about yourself or take a look at some of the interests of other members.

The point system means that you get 50 points for every review (as long as it is long enough) but you can also earn points in any competitions you enter, the prizes sometimes include getting detailed reviews owed to you as well :) There are always a lot of different competitions going on so taking a look to see if there is anything you are interested in is a good idea ;)

Anyway, what sort of things do you like to write? I'm a fantasy/horror person myself so if you ever need a review in that area don't hesitate to ask! How have you been finding YWS so far? PM me if you need anything :D
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 pm
mimimac says...

Hello! I'm Mia. :D
I see you've been explained most of the rules... dang it. :P Well I can still tell you about one or two things to help you out in your early days at YWS. :)

Certain term abbreviations such as: lol, ect, brb, MC (main character), are allowed. We realise they help save time and are conveniant on the whole. However, limit yourself to those only, please no chatspeak so: dnt tlk lik ths. xD

We have an awesome chat room here on yws. Just go on the front page and on the left hand side towards the bottom you'll find it. There are rules for the chat, including:
DONT TALK IN ALL CAPS (it's painful to see and very distracting).
No chat speak. Even though it is a chat room, we are still writers and must behave as so. :)
Also, please don't do this: heeeeeeeeeelllloooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! (it's breaking the rules.)
To make sure the rules are followed, there are chat moderators, these are the people whose names are in green and at the top of the who's online list.

We have many usergroups here on yws. Through them you get to meet other members with similar interests and join in discussions ect. To join one, go on 'groups' on the top of the page, find one that catches your interest, go in it, and then click join. It's simple :)

We also hold many competitions here on YWS. The many prizes are usually points and reviews by the person who is holding the contest. :) To check out the contests, go on community at the top of the page and after you click on it, scroll down and you'll find it. :D

PM me if you have any questions or need any reviews.
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat May 09, 2009 11:05 pm
Linx says...

Hi there, and welcome to YWS! We are like family here, and we are really friendly. So don't be shy! ^^

Here on YWS, we have an e-newsletter called Squills. Members write articles about the site and about writing and other stuff, and they can send it in during the dates that Meshugenah (the senior editor) gives them. It's really awesome, and if you want to check it out, click the Squills button on the top header. It's really cool. :D

You are known! And you will become even more known as you become more active to the site. :D
But, we need to know more about you so you can become even more known! What types of things to you like to write? Poetry? Short stories? Mysteries? Tell us!!

YWS can feel really big at some times, too. Don't worry. We are all here to help. And if you have a really bad day, just come to us! We can find a way to make you laugh. :D

Also, do you see my purple name? That means I'm an instructor, so feel free to PM me if you need any help on a story. I'll be glad to help, and I'm almost always available.

I hope to see you around! Welcome to YWS!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves