z

Young Writers Society

Hello

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:04 pm
corey_hillis says...

HI!!!! This is so exciting! I love writing! I'm also a very social person so if you want to talk give me a shout. WOOOOO!!!!

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Hey Corey(: Tiger here. You seemed really pumped about this. You should be. It's completely awesome here. First there are a few rules, but don't let them scare you off. They're just here to make things easier for everyone. (:

1. We have a 2:1 ratio. Two reveiws for every one post you make. This was everyone gets a reveiw for their work. (:

2. Plz dnt tlk lik dis. No chat speak. We're all writer's so let's keep the grammar and spelling in tip top shape (: Brb and lol are okay sometimes, but don't over do it. (:

3. NO CAPS PLEASE! It can get pretty distracting.

I'm sure I'm leaving things out, but I know someone will come along and fill you in on the others. In the mean time, tell us more about you. What genre do you write in? What kind of music do you listen to? Who's your favorite author?

PM me if you have anymore questions or if you just want to chat.

~Nicole
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:30 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey Corey! I'm Kat, nice to meet you. Welcome to YWS! You'll have great joy here.
Well, of course you' had to love writing to be in here!

Now, there is one rule that Tiger didn't mentioned.
- Rate your works. If your work contains adult themes and/or rough language please rate it as R. That way, we'll prevent our younger crowd from reading what they shouldn't.
Rated works will appear on the Home page, except the ones rated R. This is a family website after all.

Now, tell us more about yourself! What do you like, other than writing? Hobbies?
And how about your favorites? Author, book, music, band, movie?
What do you like to read, write and review?
Ice cream or cookies? Or cookies with ice-cream!

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need anything (click on the middle button at the end of this post). And if you need a review, click on the link on my signature, and request one! I'll be happy to review a piece of our work.
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hihi!

If you love to write and want to get better, YWS has three exultant resources for you to check out.

1- The Knowledge Base (found by right-clicking Resources in the header and selecting the Knowledge Base) is a database of articles written by YWSers for everybody. It's a great place to go for help on navigating YWS, polishing up your prose or poetry. Have fun while poking around!

2- Will Review for Food is a subforum under the Lounge. There, people post threads that they review things on request. Just be sure to read the first posts before you request anything, though! Not all critics cover everything.

3- Purples/Instructors. You'll notice some people (like me) have purple usernames on YWS. That means it's our job to critique at top-quality all the time. Come to us for anything writing or critiquing related! Instructors love being bugged for reviews and help on how to critique. It'd be better to look for purples who review in your favourite genre, so you're guaranteed good help. :D (Not that all purples can't look over everything, but we do have specialties. You won't get as good a fiction review if you ask a poetry critic.)

If you need anything, PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun May 03, 2009 2:55 am
Linx says...

Hi Corey! Welcome to YWS! We are almost positive that you will love it here, because it truly is amazing.

Now, let's talk about the point system. You see, to be able to post some of your stories or poems, you need points. It takes about 150 points to post something if it's kinda long.
But! You can get points from reviewing other people's stuff.

Isn't that great?

You can also compete with other members to get the most points. On the front page, you can see the top five members with the most points.

If you need any help around the site, feel free to contact me through PMs or IMs. I'm almost always available.

:D Hope you enjoy it here!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 am
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello Corey, Welcome to YWS!

I like your enthusiasm. ^_^

But, YWS is a place to be enthusiastic about. I hope you're liking it so far. If you have any questions, concerns or just want a review feel free to PM me.

So tell us a bit more about yourself Corey. What do you like to do apart from writing. How do you spend your Saturdays? Favourite music?

See you around the site!

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 am
Evi says...

Hey, Corey! Welcome to the fantastic world that is YWS. Why did you join? If the answer is either of the following:

1.) I want to write gooder!

2.) I want to make friends!

...then you've come to the right place. :wink:

So, first of all, check out the Chat room to meet some amazing people and introduce yourself to them. That's a great way to make new friends, and the perfect oppurtunity to learn some more about the site.

Also, see how everyone's username is in a different color? Mine is purple-- As Rosey explained, that means I'm an Instructor. Instructors are here to help you improve your writing by posting tips and reviewing the work that members such as yourself post in order to immprove as a writer.

Those people in Blue are Greeters. They're the really friendly people you should go to when you need some help around the site, whether it be where to post a poem about cheese or how to change your font size. They can help you feel welcome.

The people in Green are the Mods-- they keep YWS running smoothly and peacefully by taking care of the techbical and social aspects of the site. If you have a big problem, PM one of those with light or dark green names, and they'll give you a hand.

The three Admins are in Red (Nate, Meshugenah, and Firestarter) and they're the kings and queen of the site, watching over everything and making YWS so wonderful. THe orange members are retired Moderators who still deserve respect, but aren't very active anymore.

Make sure to start your own blog, and tell us about yourself! Start your blog by going to 'My Blog' under the Blog icon that's on the black header; you can customaize and design the blog layout yourself, as well as respond to other people's blogs.

Enjoy yourself, love!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 9:59 am
mimimac says...

Hello! I'm Mia. :)
I see most of the rules have been explained to you, here are one or two things that I thought I'd clear up for you.
You may have noticed some of us have stars under our names. To get these you have to review:
5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars
And so on and so forth

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
And so on and so forth

The maximum number of stars is 5 red ones, to get this you have to complete 1250 reviews. Which is a lot. :P

PM me with any questions or if you need any reviews. :)
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello, Corey! I'm really glad you're so excited about joining! Let's keep that positive attitude up, shall we? I'm Music. Nice to meet you.

So, I'm going to talk to you about Usergroups today. Usergroups [also known as Groups] are kind of like little clubs in YWS. You join the ones that you're interested in. There's clubs for debate, Narnia fans, and a huge variety of things.

You'll meet a lot of people who like the same things you do at the Groups. You'll be making more friends in no time. :wink:

Here is the link to the list of all of YWS's Usergroups.

An especially cool one to join is The Completely Evil Plan. It's been started by one of our moderators, Snoink. You should join! It's going to be amazing. :)

So, do you have any hobbies, favorite authors, colors, you know, the works? :D

PM me with any questions you need to, dear!

Love,
Music
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

7 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2009 7:24 pm
corey_hillis says...

You guys are all so awesome! I love the fact that everyone is so welcoming. Ok, here are a few tings about myself. I love writing, especially fantasy stories and short poetry. On Saturdays i sleep i until 12 and then laze around the house. One bad thing is the fact that i won't bve able to get on i a few monthes because i am leaving for the navy. wish me luck. I will write as much as i can before that though so no worries. Love ya all!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun May 03, 2009 7:44 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Corey! Glad you're going to stick around... You can call me Stella...

In case the others didn't mention it, on the homepage, there's also an awesome chatroom...

And if you run your mouse over the "home" button at the top of any page, you'll find the Leaderboards. These will tell you who's doing the most reviews in that day, week and month...

And the blogs are pretty popular too, just look at blogs also at the top of every page. You can communicate with other members through the blogs, and read the Official YWS blog.

Also, be careful about the little things- like capitalizing your i's. There are some grammar Nazis around who might get angry with you if you don't...

The navy, huh? Good luck! Where are you from? Also, who are your favourite authors/poets?

Hope I helped, feel free to PM me (by clicking the button at the bottom of the post) if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun May 03, 2009 9:18 pm
unicyclegurl1994 says...

Hey I just got here. Really excited. I have been writing for what seems to be forever. :D

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon May 04, 2009 3:28 am
Hannah says...

Hey I just got here. Really excited. I have been writing for what seems to be forever.

Hey! ^_^ Feel free to make your own welcome thread, love! =D That way you can tell us some stuff about yourself and we can greet you properly.

On Saturdays i sleep i until 12 and then laze around the house.

Hahaha. You know... if we all got up just an hour earlier than we usually do, we'd add an extra hour to our days, which could be an extra hour to write! Think of that! An extra hour every week to write before you go to the Navy! Are you scared? Excited? ^__^

I'm Hannah, by the way. =D Welcome to YWS! PM me if you ever need anything reviewed, okay? I'll help you out. =]

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

7 Reviews

Sat May 09, 2009 1:17 am
corey_hillis says...

I am soooooo nervous about the Navy. it's something new that is going to be difficult to accomplish, but I know I can do it. Oh! Hi unicyclegurl! It's a pleasure making your aqquantance. :). By the way, my favorite author is Brian Jaques. The Redwall seires is teh best set of books ever written in my personal opinion.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 am
Rosendorn says...

Good luck int the navy!

Fantasy is defenetly my favourite, although I don't really like it when the MC is a normally evil character. *Shrugs* That's how I go.

Poetry too? Another one of my favourite haunts. It's really nice to write a bit of poetry. I find it captures emotion so well.

Sleeping late... I wish. I'm not a sleeper and with YWS I have gotten to stay up much later then I used to, talking to people on YWS!

Hope to see you around the site!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot